|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Cherry (genus Prunus) is a tree on which cherry fruits grow. The cherry fruits of commerce are usually obtained from a limited number of species, including especially cultivars of the wild cherry, Prunus avium.
Cherry was a rarely used wood that made for a wand of strange power, most highly prized by the wizarding students of the school of Mahoutokoro in Japan, where cherry wand owners enjoyed special prestige.
The Western wand-purchaser should dispel from their minds any notion that the pink blossom of the living tree made for a frivolous or merely ornamental wand, for cherry wood often made a wand that possessed truly lethal power, whatever the core — though if paired with dragon heartstring, the wand ought never to be teamed with a wizard without exceptional self-control and strength of mind.
Behind the scenes
- In Japan, 花見 (Hanami) is a traditional practice of picnicking under a 桜 (sakura) (Japanese cherry) tree, hence a possible reason why a wand of cherry would be valued by Japanese wizards.
- Additionally, the cherry-blossom is the national flower of Japan, and has cultural significance and association with the country.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: "Wand Woods" at Wizarding World
- Cherry on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: "Gilderoy Lockhart" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened - Ivy Warrington character profile
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: The Journey
- Pocock, Emma (1 November 2019). "PREVIEW: ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: The Journey’". The Leaky Cauldron. Retrieved on 24 May 2021.
- Cherry blossom on Wikipedia