Professor Silvanus Kettleburn owned a Chimaera during the 1980s. In the 1988–1989 school year, Professor Kettleburn taught his fifth year Care of Magical Creatures about how to handle these beasts. Another Chimaera lived in the Magical Creatures Reserve.
In 1995, Rubeus Hagrid stated to Hermione Granger that it was difficult to get a Chimaera egg, causing Hermione to speculate that he had tried to get one, and wanted to use it as part of a Care of Magical Creatures lesson, while Hermione advised Hagrid better not to bring dangerous beasts to teach to the Hogwarts students, due to Dolores Umbridge's inspections.
Behind the scenes
- In classical Greek mythology the Chimaera was the daughter of Typhon and Echidna, her siblings included the Neamean Lion and the Lernean Hydra. The Chimaera was hunted and slain by the hero Bellerophon, son of Poseidon, with the aid of his winged steed Pegasus. The statement in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that the only known killing of a Chimaera resulted in the wizard falling off his winged horse is a direct homage to this tale, as Bellerophon was said to have fallen from Pegasus' back although that happened a long time later when Zeus sent a gadfly after him.
- A chimaera is literally a "hodge-podge" of several creatures. They are usually described as having three heads in Greek mythology: a lion's head on its front, a goat's head emerging from the back of the lion's head, and a tail tipped with a serpent's head. In the original myth, it was said to have breathed fire (some sources say all three heads did so, while others say only the goat did).
- In more recent fantasy settings, such as the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, the third (or fourth, if the snake tail is counted) head of a dragon and draconic wings are often added as well.
- While the classical Chimaera is part lion, goat, and dragon, a true Chimaera is simply any two or more of anything including humans which leads to the medical diagnosis known as "Chimaerism" which happens when multiple genetic patterns merge in a single organism (often due to two or more fertilised eggs combining into a single embryo).
- Professor Kettleburn's female Chimaera had a mane, something that is considered unusual, at least for non-magical lionesses.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Cut from the film)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 7 (Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 1 (Year Four Begins)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 33 (Bye-Bye Bill) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Chimaera"
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 21 (The Eye of the Snake)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn · Wampus cat|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|