At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Chizpurfle is a type of very small magical parasite. Crab-like in appearance, they are up to a twentieth of an inch with fangs. Magic attracts them and they are commonly found in the fur and feathers of Crups and Augureys. Chizpurfle carapaces and fangs are used in potion-making.
Biology and Habits
Chizpurfles attack magical objects like wands and cauldrons, gnawing through to the magical core or gorging on the last remnants of potions. They are also attracted to spells, such as the Wand-Lighting Charm Duo. In the absence of magic, Chizpurfles attack Muggle items powered by electricity. This explains the sudden failure of various new electrical goods.
Chizpurfle infestations are usually easily handled by patented potions on the market, but more severe infestations need to be dealt with by the Pest Sub-Division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.
The word "Chiz" is an English word for "cheat" or "swindle", presumably a cognate of "chisel". The word "Purfle" is a fur trimming border of a garment.
Behind the scenes
- As they feed off of magic, Chizpurfles are thaumavores, and as they can also feed off of electricity, they are also electrovores, but prefer magic over electricity.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Rowan Khanna says Rubeus Hagrid was once very upset and cried when he thought he trod on a Chizpurfle.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|