|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
- "The mood-enhancing properties of chocolate are well known in both the Muggle and wizard worlds. Chocolate is the perfect antidote for anyone who has been overcome in the presence of Dementors, which suck hope and happiness out of their surroundings. Chocolate can only be a short-term remedy, however. Finding ways to fight off Dementors – or depression – are essential if one is to become permanently happier. Excessive chocolate consumption cannot benefit either Muggle or wizard."
- —Description of the effects of chocolate[src]
Remus Lupin carried chocolate with him on the Hogwarts Express and gave Harry Potter some after the latter was attacked by a Dementor. When Madam Pomfrey heard that Remus Lupin had given Harry chocolate after his encounter with the Dementor, she nodded approvingly and stated that "So we've finally got a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies." She herself used a large chunk of Honeydukes chocolate in the Hospital Wing to treat Harry Potter and Hermione Granger after they and Sirius Black were attacked by several Dementors in 1994. Harry Potter later commented that he never wanted to eat a piece of chocolate for a while afterwards, as he apparently has grown sick of it for a while.
- Chocoballs - Strawberry mousse and clotted cream filling.
- Chocolate bars - Much like their Muggle counterparts. Sold at Honeydukes.
- Chocolate cake - A cake flavoured with melted chocolate or cocoa powder (also a Muggle dessert).
- Chocolate Cauldrons - Cauldron-shaped treats filled with firewhiskey.
- Chocolate eclairs - Cream-filled bun with chocolate topping (also a Muggle dessert).
- Chocolate liqueur - Liqueur with a flavour of chocolate.
- Chocolate Frogs - Includes Famous Witch or Wizard Card.
- Chocolate egg - Egg-shaped chocolate used to illustrate a dragon egg.
- Chocolate gateau - A flourless chocolate cake
- Chocolate Skeleton
- Chocolate Wand - Chocolate wand-shaped sweets.
- Shock-o-Choc - Sold in packages weighing 170 grammes.
- Hot chocolate - Cocoa powder mixed with milk.
Behind the scenes
- It is possible that chocolate is used to ward off the effects following meeting a Dementor as it has chemicals inside it that release endorphins, which are human chemicals in the body that make a person feel happy.
- Chocolate presents no danger to Werewolves, despite the well known fact that chocolate is poisonous to canines, showing that the human form of the Werewolf has traits that carry over into the wolf form aside from the more human eyes. Ironically, Remus Lupin is noted for his borderline addiction to chocolate.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- Creator: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 5 (The Dementor)
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Dementors and Chocolate" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 21 (Hermione's Secret)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 (The Keeper of the Keys)