Circe was featured on a Chocolate Frog Card. Harry Potter obtained this card from a Chocolate Frog on his first trip to Hogwarts in 1991. There was a portrait of Circe at Hogwarts Castle. It guarded a secret shortcut between the fourth-floor landing of the Grand Staircase and the Entrance Hall side room. The password required to gain access to said shortcut was Piggywiggy.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Circe was proficient in the human to pig spell, as she turned lost sailors into said animals. Human transfiguration is stated as the most complex one, showing she was highly talented in this very difficult branch of magic.
Behind the scenes
- Circe was a minor goddess in Greek mythology, said to transform sailors lost around her island of Aeaea into animals via the use of enchanted food. She is perhaps most well known as a figure in Homer's Odyssey, where the hero Odysseus spent a year on her island after freeing his shipmates from her spells.
- Because of her appearance in said Greek texts, Circe is considered by scholars to be the first traditional witch to appear in literature.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references