At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
Conjuration is an advanced form and branch of Transfiguration, some of the most complex magic taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Conjurations are distinguished from the other branches of Transfiguration, by their ability to transfigure the desired object from 'thin air'.
Conjuration is more than difficult than Transformation, Switching, and Vanishment and is only taught to students at N.E.W.T.-level. The only form of Transfiguration exceeds Conjuration in difficulty is Human Transfiguration. Conjuration also has some overlap with charms and some Dark charms, such as the Water-Making Spell and the Floating eyes curse.
According to The Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk, "for reasons that are still not fully understood ... two categories of creature are easier to conjure from nothing than any other: birds and snakes." The spells to conjure these creatures are the Bird-Conjuring Charm and the Snake Summons Spell respectively.
Many things can go wrong when attempting to conjure something from nothing, especially in the case of living creatures. If Conjuration is not performed exactly right or if the caster is simply messing around with Conjuring Spells, mistakes such as frog-rabbit hybrids can occur. The hybrids in question can be explainable by the magical law Principle of Artificianimate Quasi-Dominance. Things such as severed heads and indeterminate stumps can also occur, when the conjuration isn't exactly right, as well.
Miranda Goshawk, has written entries in the Standard Book of Spells series about the dangers of poor conjuration.
Known instances of Conjuration
- "However, these brothers were learned in the magical arts, and so they simply waved their wands and made a bridge appear across the treacherous water."
- —The Tales of Beedle the Bard
1991–1992 school year
|The Three Brothers||Unknown||In the Tales of Beedle the Bard, the three brothers conjured a bridge to get across a river.|
|Appleby Arrows supporters||pre 1894||Appleby Arrows supporters used to fire arrows onto the Quidditch pitch to support their team by use of the Arrow-shooting spell, however, the spell was banned in 1894 when referee Nugent Potts was pierced through the nose with a stray arrow.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||31 July, 1991||Nonverbally conjured a fire in the grate in the Hut in which the Dursleys and Harry Potter were staying to avoid the barrage of Harry's Hogwarts letters.|
|Hermione Granger||1991–1992 school year||Hermione conjured Bluebell flames to keep herself, Ron Weasley and Harry Potter warm during the winter months, as well as setting Severus Snape's robes on fire and to fend off the Devil's Snare which was attacking them.|
|Filius Flitwick||December, 1991||Nonverbally conjured gold bubbles for Christmas decorations.|
|Quirinus Quirrell||4 June 1992||Nonverbally and wandlessly conjured ropes to bind and gag Harry Potter by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
1992–1993 school year
|Draco Malfoy||17 December, 1992||Conjured a snake by use of the Snake Summons Spell, while dueling with Harry Potter during the Duelling Club.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1 September, 1992|
|Nonverbally conjured a fire in the grate in Severus Snape's office by use of the Fire-Making Spell Spell.|
|18 December, 1992||Nonverbally conjured a fan after the attack of Nearly Headless Nick and instructed Ernie Macmillan to "waft" him up to the Hospital Wing.|
1993–1994 school year
|Albus Dumbledore||1993||Dumbledore may have conjured a stretcher and then 'magicked' Harry onto it when he fell from his broom.|
|Nonverbally conjured hundreds of purple sleeping bags for students who were taking refuge in the Great Hall after Sirius Black's break-in to Hogwarts|
|Nonverbally conjured a chair for Sybill Trelawney to sit in at the Christmas feast in the Great Hall.|
|Cornelius Fudge||July, 1993||Nonverbally conjured two large glasses of amber liquid, one for himself, one for the Prime Minister.|
|Remus Lupin||6 June 1994||Conjured a wooden rod and bandages to help support Ron Weasley's broken leg by use of the Bandaging Charm.|
|Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Peter Pettigrew in the Shrieking Shack, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Severus Snape||Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Remus Lupin in the Shrieking Shack, by use of the Incarcerous Spell|
|Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Sirius Black when he found him unconscious next to Hermione Granger and Harry Potter under the influence of Dementor.|
|Nonverbally conjured stretchers to lift Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and Sirius Black.|
|Sirius Black||Nonverbally conjured shackles to bind Peter Pettigrew to Remus Lupin and Ron Weasley.|
1994–1995 school year
|Arthur Weasley||August 1994||Conjured a fire in the Dursley's fireplace by use of the Fire-Making Spell Spell.|
|Nonverbally conjured candles to light the darkening garden in the The Burrow.|
|Bill Weasley||Nonverbally conjured tablecloths for the tables to prepare for dinner.|
|Garrick Ollivander||November 1994||During the Wand weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander conjured wine to test Harry Potter's wand by use of the Fountain of Wine Spell.|
|During the Wand Weighing ceremony in, Mr Ollivander conjured a flock of birds to test Viktor Krum's wand by use of the Bird-Conjuring Charm.|
|Also during the Wand Weighing ceremony, Mr Ollivander also conjured flowers to test Fleur Delacour's wand by use of the Orchideous Spell.|
|Fleur Delacour||24 November, 1994||Conjured water during the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament, by use of the Water-Making Spell.|
|Albus Dumbledore||January 1995||Nonverbally conjured a tea tray at Hagrid's cabin.|
|24 June, 1995||Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Bartemius Crouch Jr after Polyjuice Potion with Alastor Moody's hair stopped working and he revealed by Veritaserum that he escaped from Azkaban and helped Lord Voldemort to capture Harry Potter.|
|Peter Pettigrew||24 June, 1995||Nonverbally conjured a fire under Voldemort's cauldron in the Little Hangleton graveyard.|
|Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Harry Potter to Tom Riddle Snr's gravestone by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
1995–1996 school year
|Albus Dumbledore||12 August, 1995||Nonverbally conjured two armchairs, for himself and Arabella Figg, during the disciplinary hearing of Harry Potter.|
|17 June, 1996||During the Duel in the Ministry Atrium,Dumbledore conjured a fiery rope which he sent at Lord Voldemort by use of the Flagrate Spell.|
|Arthur Weasley||January 1996||Nonverbally conjured a number of chairs for his family and friends while they were visiting him in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries.|
|Minerva McGonagall||December 1995||Nonverbally conjured three draws up straight-backed, wooden chairs, for herself, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley|
|Dolores Umbridge||17 June, 1996||Conjured ropes which bound Magorian the Centaur, after she insulted them in the Forbidden Forest, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Lord Voldemort||During the duel in the Ministry Atrium, Lord Voldemort conjured a silver shield to block one of Albus Dumbledore's spells.|
1996–1997 school year
|Cornelius Fudge||July, 1996||Nonverbally conjured two large glasses of amber liquid, one for himself, one for the Prime Minister.|
|Hermione Granger||December 1996||Conjured a flock of canaries to keep herself company, by use of the Bird-Conjuring Charm.|
|Albus Dumbledore||July 1996||Nonverbally conjured a dusty bottle of oak-matured mead and five glasses.|
|30 June, 1997||Nonverbally conjured a goblet to drink the Emerald Green Potion in the Horcrux cave.|
|Harry Potter||Conjured water to give Albus Dumbledore in the Horcrux Cave by use of the Aguamenti Charm, however, the water disappeared due to a protective curse.|
|Conjured ropes which bound an Inferius in the Horcrux Cave, by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Conjured ropes in a failed attempt to stop Severus Snape fleeing from Hogwarts during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower|
|Conjured water by use of the the Water-Making Spell to douse the fire which Thorfinn Rowle had created.|
|Thorfinn Rowle||Conjured flames to set Rubeus Hagrid's cabin on fire by use of the Fire-Making Spell during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower.|
|Poppy Pomfrey||Nonverbally conjured a chair for Minerva McGonagall in the Hospital Wing.|
1997–1998 school year
|Antonin Dolohov||1 August, 1997||Nonverbally conjured ropes to bind and gag Ron Weasley during the Luchino Caffe Duel by use of the Incarcerous Spell.|
|Hermione Granger||31 July, 1997||Nonverbally conjured purple and gold streamers to decorate Harry Potter's seventeenth birthday party.|
|4 August, 1997||Nonverbally conjured a fire in the grate in 12 Grimmauld Place by use of the Fire-Making Spell.|
|While interrogating Mundungus, Harry Potter accidentally set his eyebrows on fire. Hermione Granger conjured water to put the fire out by use of the Water-Making Spell.|
|October, 1997||Conjured blindfold over the eyes of the Portrait of Phineas Nigellus Black to prevent him from seeing her, Ron Weasley's and Harry Potter's hiding place by use of the Obscuro Spell.|
|1997-1998||Conjured Bluebell flames in order to keep warm and to cook with.|
|24 December 1997||Non-verbally conjured a wreath of Christmas roses to place on the graves of Lily and James Potter at the Godric's Hollow graveyard.|
|2 May, 1998||Conjured a crystal flask to hold Severus Snape's memory.|
|Minerva McGonagall||Conjured a silver rope and a net to restrain the Carrows.
Conjured a fiery whirlwind similar to a fire rope in her duel with Severus nape.
|Harry Potter||During the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry tried to douse Vincent Crabbe's Fiendfyre curse with the Aguamenti Charm, to ill effect.|
Known Conjuration spells
- Arrow-shooting spell: Conjures and fires a group of arrows.
- Aqua Eructo Charm (Aqua Eructo): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aguamenti.
- Bandaging Charm (Ferula): Conjures a wooden rod and bandages.
- Bird-Conjuring Charm (Avis): Conjures a flock of birds.
- Bluebell Flames: Conjures blue flames.
- Bridge-conjuring spell: Conjures a bridge.
- Bubble-producing spell: Conjures a stream of non-bursting bubbles from the wand.
- Butterfly-conjuring spell: Conjures butterflies.
- Christmas decorations conjuring spell: Conjures Christmas decorations out of thin air.
- Ebublio Jinx: Conjures a large bubble of water to trap a target, which cannot be popped with physical force.
- Ecto Spell (Ectomatic): conjures ectoplasm.
- Gytrash-conjuring spell: A dark spell which conjures bright green Gytrashes to attack an opponent.
- Fiendfyre: Conjures cursed fire.
- Fire-Making Spell (Incendio): Conjures a jet of flame.
- Fire rope: Conjures a long, thin fiery rope to attack a target with.
- Firestorm: Conjures a ring of crimson and gold fire around the caster's wand.
- Flask-conjuring spell: Conjures a drinking flask out of thin air.
- Fountain of wine: Conjures wine.
- Fulgari: Conjures vicious, luminous ropes to bind a target.
- Inanimatus Conjurus Spell: Possibly conjures an object.
- Incarcerous Spell: Conjures ropes.
- Lacarnum Inflamari: Conjures a small fireball to set pieces of clothing alight.
- Lawn-creating spell: Creates lawns out of larger geographical formations.
- Melofors Jinx: Conjures a pumpkin to encase the target's head in it.
- Obscuro: Conjures blindfolds around the target.
- Orchideous: Conjures flowers.
- Protego Diabolica: Unleashes a ring of dark and protective black fire which will incinerate one's enemies whilst unharming allies.
- Sauce-making spell: Conjures a stream of edible sauce for culinary purposes.
- Silver shield spell: Conjures a physical, silver shield in front of the caster, to protect them from attacks.
- Snake Summons Spell (Serpensortia): Summons a snake out of thin air.
- Spell to conjure a circle of fire: Conjures a circle of fire around an area.
- Spider-conjuring spell: Summons a Spider.
- Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti): Conjures a jet of clear water, similar to Aqua Eructo.
- Appleby Arrows supporters
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 26 (The Cave)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- ↑ http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2000/0700-swns-alfie.htm