At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Crouch was the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They were related to the Black, Yaxley, Longbottom, Weasley, and other known pure-blood families. According to statements by Albus Dumbledore, the Crouch family was one of the oldest pure-blood families in Great Britain.
The Crouch family seemed to have a penchant for the Dark Arts as Bartemius Crouch Junior joined the Death Eaters and his father Bartemius Crouch Senior was quite proficient in using the Imperious curse against the former. In addition, the Crouch family was a "respectable" pure-blood family as Charis Black married into this family while Barty Crouch Sr opposed Lord Voldemort.
The Crouches were a family of high status within the wizarding community. Bartemius Crouch Snr was a high-ranking and influential officer in the Ministry of Magic, and it was widely believed that he would have become Minister for Magic. The family's fortunes, however, took a turn for the worst when it was discovered that Barty Junior was a Death Eater. As Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Crouch gave his son a life sentence in Azkaban but fulfilled his dying wife's last wish which was to switch her with her imprisoned son with the assistance of Polyjuice Potion. Due to such bad publicity, the Crouch family's status plummeted and Crouch Snr was demoted and shunned aside.
The last two members of the clan were served by a house-elf named Winky until she was dismissed when her guardianship of Crouch Junior was deemed unreliable. Bartemius Junior killed his father in 1995 and received the Dementor's Kiss as a result. After his death, sometime in 1996, the Crouch family became extinct.
|Bartemius Crouch Snr||A high-ranking Ministry of Magic official.|
|Mrs Crouch||wife of Barty Crouch Snr and mother of Barty Crouch Junior.|
|Bartemius Crouch Junior||Son of Barty Crouch Snr; known Death Eater.|
|Caspar Crouch||Husband of Charis Black.|
|Charis Crouch née Black||Wife of Caspar Crouch, sister of Callidora Longbottom née Black and Cedrella Weasley née Black.|
|Two unidentified daughters||Daughters of Caspar Crouch|
|Unidentified son||Son of Caspar Crouch|
|Unidentified grandfather||Grandfather of Bartemius Crouch Snr.|
Crouch is an English surname as well as a verb, meaning "to bend down; to stoop low" or "to be servilely...to fawn; to cringe", possibly referring to Barty Crouch Junior's role as a servant of Lord Voldemort. Furthermore, the River Crouch is a river that flows through the English county of Essex into the North Sea, the location of Azkaban, and Crouch End is an area of London known for having been the home of many writers in the fantasy genre.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (Appears only disguised as Moody)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Appears only disguised as Moody)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 36 (The Parting of the Ways)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 35 (Veritaserum)
- J.K. Rowling's website: The Crouch family became extinct along with the Black family.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 30 (The Pensieve)
- Black family tree
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 27 (Padfoot Returns)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 9 (The Dark Mark)
- Wiktionary Definition: Crouch