Crouch was the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. They were related to the Black, Yaxley, Longbottom, Weasley, and other known pure-blood families. According to statements by Albus Dumbledore, the Crouch family was one of the oldest pure-blood families in Great Britain.
- "So old Crouch lost it all, just when he thought he had it made. One moment, a hero, poised to become the Minister for Magic... next, his son dead, his wife dead, the family name dishonoured, and... a big drop in popularity."
- —Sirius Black on what he heard about the Crouch's misfortune.
The Crouches were a family of high status within the wizarding community. Bartemius Crouch Snr was a high-ranking and influential officer in the Ministry of Magic, and it was widely believed that he would have become Minister for Magic. The family's fortunes, however, took a turn for the worst when it was discovered that Barty Jr was a Death Eater. As Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Crouch gave his son a life sentence in Azkaban but fulfilled his dying wife's last wish which was to switch her with her imprisoned son with the assistance of Polyjuice Potion. Due to such bad publicity, the Crouch family's status plummeted and Crouch Snr was demoted and shunned aside.
The last two members of the clan were served by a house-elf named Winky until she was dismissed when her guardianship of Crouch Jr was deemed unreliable. Bartemius Jr killed his father in 1995 and received the Dementor's Kiss as a result. After his death, sometime in 1996, the Crouch family became extinct.
|Bartemius Crouch Snr||A high-ranking Ministry of Magic official.|
|Mrs Crouch||wife of Barty Crouch Snr and mother of Barty Crouch Jr.|
|Bartemius Crouch Jr||Son of Barty Crouch Snr; known Death Eater.|
|Caspar Crouch||Husband of Charis Black.|
|Charis Crouch née Black||Wife of Caspar Crouch, sister of Callidora Longbottom née Black and Cedrella Weasley née Black.|
|Two unidentified daughters||Daughters of Caspar Crouch|
|Unidentified son||Son of Caspar Crouch|
|Unidentified grandfather||Grandfather of Bartemius Crouch Snr.|
Crouch is an English surname as well as a verb, meaning "to bend down; to stoop low" or "to be servilely...to fawn; to cringe", possibly referring to Barty Crouch Jr's role as a servant of Lord Voldemort. Furthermore, the River Crouch is a river that flows through the English county of Essex into the North Sea, the location of Azkaban, and Crouch End is an area of London known for having been the home of many writers in the fantasy genre.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (Appears only disguised as Moody)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Appears only disguised as Moody)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
Notes and references