At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A Crup was a wizard-bred dog.
It strongly resembled a Jack Russell Terrier, except that a crup had a forked tail. They were clearly wizard-bred dogs since they were extremely loyal to wizards, and ferocious toward Muggles. Crups were great scavengers, eating everything from gnomes to old tyres.
A group of crups is known as a "pack". Crup puppies are known as cruppies.
Crup owners were required by British wizarding law to remove the forked tail of the animal when it was six to eight weeks old, using a painless Severing Charm, in case they were noticed by Muggles. A licence from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures also had to be obtained, and the owner had to pass a test to show that they were able to control the animal in Muggle-inhabited areas.
Thornton Harkaway, President of the Magical Congress of the United States of America in 1760, was a breeder of crups until his pack savaged several local No-Majs in Williamsburg, Virginia which left them only able to bark for a period of 48 hours. This lead to Harkaway leaving office in disgrace and the relocation of the Magical Congress of the United States of America headquarters to Baltimore, Maryland.
Rubeus Hagrid's fifth year Care of Magical Creatures class studied this creature in 1996. They were amongst those creatures that most often came up on Ordinary Wizarding Level examination and thus part of the Ministry of Magic approved curriculum for Care of Magical Creatures students at that level.
Behind the scenes
- According to W.O.M.B.A.T., it may be possible for crups to interbreed with dogs.
- President Harkaway's breeding of crups could be considered anachronistic, as the Jack Russell terrier itself was not first bred until the mid-1800s. However, it is possible that the crup predates the Jack Russell, and the similarities between the two were only noted in more recent times.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year ?, Side Quest "Magical Pets"
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA)" at Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15)
- ↑ Pottermore (2014) - Excerpt here: Read J.K. Rowling's new Harry Potter story about a singing sorceress - "Hobbies: Travelling in fabulous style, breeding rough-coated Crups, relaxing in any of her eight homes"
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club)|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Crup · Fire Crab · Flobberworm · Hippogriff · Knarl · Kneazle · Murtlap · Niffler · Porlock · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|