At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells & Harry Potter: Wizards Unite & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
- "The Crup originated in the southeast of England. It closely resembles a Jack Russell terrier, except for the forked tail. The Crup is almost certainly a wizard-created dog, as it is intensely loyal to wizards and ferocious towards Muggles. It is a great scavenger, eating anything from gnomes to old tyres. Crup licences may be obtained from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures on completion of a simple test to prove that the applicant wizard is capable of controlling the Crup in Muggle-inhabited areas."
- — Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
The Crup strongly resembled a Jack Russell terrier, except that a Crup had a forked tail. They were clearly wizard-bred dogs since they were extremely loyal to wizards, and ferocious toward Muggles and Squibs. Crups were great scavengers, eating everything from gnomes to old tyres.
A group of Crups was known as a "pack". Crup puppies were known as cruppies.
Crup owners were required by British wizarding law to remove the forked tail of the animal when it was six to eight weeks old, using a painless Severing Charm, in case they were noticed by Muggles. A licence from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures also had to be obtained, and the owner had to pass a test to show that they were able to control the animal in Muggle-inhabited areas.
The Crup originated in southeast England. By the 18th century, Crups could be found in the United States, and Thornton Harkaway, President of the Magical Congress of the United States of America in 1760, was a breeder of Crups until his pack savaged several local No-Majs in Williamsburg, Virginia leaving them only able to bark for a period of 48 hours. This lead to Harkaway leaving office in disgrace and the relocation of the Magical Congress of the United States of America headquarters to Baltimore, Maryland.
Also in the 1980s, Rubeus Hagrid's friend had a litter of cruppies and gave some to Hagrid to take care of. Hagrid and Professor Kettleburn arranged for some of Kettleburn's more dedicated students to train them. Hagrid offered one to Jacob's sibling but then realised that they were all spoken for. However, he did say that if Jacob's sibling adopted one from another source that they could take part in the tricks exhibition.
Unfortunately, during this time Hagrid's cruppies chewed up and destroyed Skye Parkin's Comet 220 broomstick just as Skye was planning on giving it to Jacob's sibling. Hagrid felt responsible so he and Madam Hooch arranged for the student to receive a new Comet 260 broomstick instead.
Rubeus Hagrid's fifth-year Care of Magical Creatures class studied this magical creature in 1996. They were amongst those creatures that most often came up on Ordinary Wizarding Level examination and thus part of the British Ministry of Magic approved curriculum for Care of Magical Creatures students at that level.
Behind the scenes
- According to W.O.M.B.A.T., it may be possible for crups to interbreed with non-magical dogs.
- President Harkaway's breeding of crups could be considered anachronistic, as the Jack Russell terrier itself was not first bred until the mid-1800s. However, it is possible that the crup predates the Jack Russell, and the similarities between the two were only noted in more recent times.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Wizarding World
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (see this image)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year ?
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA)" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Puppy-Dog Tales"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Quidditch Season 1, Chapter 9 (Searching for a Comet)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15)
- Pottermore (2014) - Excerpt here: Read J.K. Rowling's new Harry Potter story about a singing sorceress - "Hobbies: Travelling in fabulous style, breeding rough-coated Crups, relaxing in any of her eight homes"
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|