- "Before Harry could make any further protest, Dumbledore lowered the crystal goblet into the potion. For a split second Harry hoped that he would not be able to touch the potion with the goblet, but the crystal sank into the surface as nothing else had; when the glass was full to the brim, Dumbledore lifted it to his mouth."
- — Dumbledore about to drink the Emerald Potion with the crystal goblet[src]
A crystal goblet was the tool used by Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter inside The Cave to drain the basin of Emerald Potion, where the locket Horcrux was hidden, on the island in the middle of the lake. Dumbledore conjured the goblet out of thin air using a non-verbal spell, and instructed Harry to make him drink all of the potion no matter what happened, even if Harry had to force Dumbledore to keep drinking.
- "Your good health, Harry"
- — Dumbledore to Harry before he drinks from the goblet[src]
When the basin was finally emptied, Dumbledore weakly asked for water. Harry used the Aguamenti Charm to fill the goblet with drinking water, but when he attempted to give it to Dumbledore, the water disappeared. Harry again tried to fill the goblet with Aguamenti, but again the water disappeared before Dumbledore could drink it. Harry then used the crystal goblet to get water from the lake surrounding the island, causing the Inferi within the lake to rise up and attack.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the crystal goblet was already present near the Horcrux basin, rather than conjured out of thin air by Dumbledore, as in the novel. It also appears to be made out of some kind of seashell. Also, instead of the water vanishing before it could reach Dumbledore, in the film, when Harry tried to scoop the water with the goblet, the water simply phased through, rather than remain in the vessel.
- The Noble Collection sells a replica of the crystal goblet.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)