A daisy is a common European wildflower with white and yellow flowers. Its roots are an ingredient used in the Shrinking Solution and Essence of Daisyroot. Severus Snape kept a bottle of the latter elixir in the Potions Classroom at Hogwarts in 1995. Daisies are also used in the brewing of alcoholic beverages, such as the Daisyroot Draught.
The Latin name 'Asteraceae' is derived from the type genus Aster, which is a Greek term, meaning "star". While 'Compositae', an older but still valid name, means composite and refers to the characteristic inflorescence, a special type of pseudanthium found in only a few other angiosperm families. The study of this family is known as synantherology.
In addition, the name daisy is derived from its Old English meaning, dægesege, from dæges eage meaning "day's eye," and this was because the petals open at dawn and close at dusk.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Mentioned only)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4