Daisy Dodderidge (1467–1555) was the witch who built the Leaky Cauldron in a successful attempt to create a gateway between the Muggle and wizarding worlds. She was the original landlady of the pub, and the Leaky Cauldron soon became the primary entrance into Diagon Alley.
The name "Daisy" is simply from the English word for the white flower, ultimately derived from Old English dægeseage meaning "day eye". It was first used as a given name in the 19th century, at the same time many other plant and flower names were coined.
Behind the scenes
- Daisy Dodderidge's Wizard of the Month entry and Chocolate Frog Card from the video games gives her dates as 1467-1555, but the Wizard of the Coast Chocolate Frog Cards lists them as 1457-1555.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Wizard of the Month
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Wizard of the Month (Internet Archive) at J. K. Rowling's official site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Chocolate Frog Cards (see this image)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Chocolate Frog Cards (see this image)
- ↑ Horace Slughorn states that family members are often Sorted into the same House in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 4 (Horace Slughorn) - Daisy may have been Sorted into Gryffindor, as Damara, a possible relative, had a portrait hung in Gryffindor Tower. However, there are exceptions.
|The Leaky Cauldron|
|Founder Daisy Dodderidge|
|Owners||Tom (formerly) · Hannah Abbott||Residents||Neville Longbottom|
|Maids||Day maid · Night maid · Young maid||Others||Bartender · Cleaner · Cook · Male toilet fixer|
|1 Diagon Alley, England, Great Britain|