Dark Arts was a class taught at several wizarding schools. Unforgivable Curses and numerous other forms of dark magic were taught in this class. It is possible that students were used as victims as a form of punishment.
- "Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defence rubbish we do..."
- — Draco Malfoy comparing the two schools[src]
The Dark Arts were taught at Durmstrang Institute. This, along with their pure-blood supremacy, were reasons why Lucius Malfoy considered sending his son Draco there, and why the school had a negative reputation. Sirius Black claimed that since having been released from Azkaban for having been a Death Eater, Igor Karkaroff taught the Dark Arts to every student who enrolled at the school.
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Salazar Slytherin may have wanted to teach his students spells of which the other three founders disapproved, and it is a possibility that he had initially constructed the Chamber of Secrets as a place in which to teach the Dark Arts.
1997-1998 school year
During the 1997–1998 school year, Amycus Carrow was appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts, and changed the subject to just Dark Arts. The seventh years learned how to cast the Cruciatus Curse (which was to be practised on students who earned detention), and possibly how to conjure Fiendfyre and other Unforgivable Curses; Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle were said to be top students due to their inclination to cruelty. However, Crabbe apparently did not pay attention to how to control or stop Fiendfyre, which was what led to his demise later that year in the Skirmish at the Room of Requirement.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 19 (The Hungarian Horntail)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 29 (The Lost Diadem)
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: "Chamber of Secrets" at Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 11 (Aboard the Hogwarts Express)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 12 (Magic is Might)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- Accio Quote!
|Core classes||Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes||Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extracurricular classes||Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Ghoul Studies · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|
|First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · |
Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test