Dark Arts was a class taught at several wizarding schools. Unforgivable Curses and numerous other forms of Dark magic were taught in this class. It is possible that students were used as victims as a form of punishment.
- "Durmstrang takes a far more sensible line than Hogwarts about the Dark Arts. Durmstrang students actually learn them, not just the defence rubbish we do..."
- —Draco Malfoy comparing the two schools.[src]
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Salazar Slytherin may have wanted to teach his students spells of which the other three founders disapproved, and it is a possibility that he had initially constructed the Chamber of Secrets as a place in which to teach the Dark Arts.
1997-1998 school year
After that year, Carrow was replaced and the subject returned to teaching defence.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
|The Eleven Schools|
|Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|