Dark Arts was a class taught at several wizarding schools. Unforgivable Curses and numerous other forms of Dark magic were taught in this class. It is possible that students were used as victims as a form of punishment.
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
1994-1995 school year
1997-1998 school year
During the 1997–1998 school year, Amycus Carrow was appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts, and changed the subject to just Dark Arts. The seventh years learned how to cast the Cruciatus Curse, and possibly how to conjure Fiendfyre and other Unforgivable Curses. After that year, Carrow was replaced and the subject returned to teaching defence.
Behind the scenes
- Dark Arts is the only class confirmed to be taught at more than one wizarding school, though it was only temporary at Hogwarts.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
|The Eleven Schools|
|Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|