It's unknown when Professors began to occupy this office, but Albus Dumbledore presumably occupied this office during his tenure as the Defence Against the Dark Arts instructor, although his colleague, Professor Galatea Merrythought, was known to have had an office on the sixth floor, even after Dumbledore transferred to the Transfiguration department, although this may be from choice, rather than need.
Professor Quirinus Quirrell used this office during the 1991–1992 school year. He had African tribal masks hung on the walls, alongside a large bookshelf with not only books, but what appeared to be skulls. He had a telescope facing the window, and turbans and cushions strewn on the floor.
Gilderoy Lockhart used this office during the 1992–1993 school year. He decorated it with pictures of himself, and offered its usage to Dumbledore for examining the petrified Mrs Norris. He also held a detention session with Harry Potter in the room. He vacated the office when he was pressured by his colleagues to enter the Chamber of Secrets, to save Ginny Weasley. At this time he stripped down his own office in an attempt to escape, only for Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley to confront him in his office, resulting in him revealing his fraudulence and cowardice, and with Harry disarming of him of his wand when he attempted to erase their memories with the Memory Charm.
During Remus Lupin's time at the school, he filled this office with an assortment of dark creatures, including, on one occasion, a Grindylow in a tank, which was the same day he invited Harry to have tea with him. Four years later in 1997, Lupin would use this as a security question against Harry, after the Battle of the Seven Potters.
In 1994, Bartemius Crouch Jr, disguised as Alastor Moody, used this office to store Moody's many Dark Detectors and his magical trunk. When Harry was caught giving a hint to Cedric Diggory, Crouch invited Harry to the office to give him more pointers in dealing with the first task. After Harry returned from Little Hangleton, Barty brought him here to assassinate him, only to be caught by Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall and Severus Snape and the exposure of his true identity, and ultimately received the Dementor's Kiss in this office.
- "The surfaces had all been draped in lacy covers and cloths. There were several vases full of dried flowers, each one residing on its own doily, and on one of the walls was a collection of ornamental plates, each decorated with a large technicolour kitten wearing a different bow around its neck. These were so foul that Harry stared at them, transfixed, until Professor Umbridge spoke again."
Dolores Umbridge changed the office nearly beyond recognition, going so far as to paint it pink and completely remodel it in a frilly fashion. Her detentions with Harry took place here, making him cut his own hand open with her Black Quill until past midnight every day for a week. Marietta Edgecombe came to the office sometime in April after dinner, reporting the activities of Dumbledore's Army to Umbridge, but upon catching sight of her own face (which became mutilated via a jinx as a result of her betrayal) in a mirror within the office, she covered it in shame. During the rebellion of the students, Lee Jordan slipped Nifflers into the office, causing the entire place to be wrecked. When Umbridge became headmistress, since the gargoyle of Dumbledore's office refused to let her in, she was forced to remain here. Due to the Ministry of Magic's interference with Hogwarts, Umbridge's fireplace in this office was the only one in the entire school not being watched by the Floo Network Authority. Harry broke in here twice in order to use it to contact Sirius Black, the second time which he was caught. The office's design was the same as the theme in her office in the Ministry, while Harry found Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop somewhat similar.
In 1998 and after
Behind the scenes
- Although in the books the Defence Against the Dark Arts professor's office is located on the second floor, in the film series and in the video games it is connected to the Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom by a small stairway.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC or GBA version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Door only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Door only (Interior appears in GBA version only))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Door only) (Flashback on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - GBC version
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9 (The Writing on the Wall)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 (The Chamber of Secrets)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 5 (Fallen Warrior)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 35 (Veritaserum)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 36 (The Parting of the Ways)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 13 (Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 32 (Out of the Fire)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 15 (The Unbreakable Vow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 29 (The Lost Diadem)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)