Demetrius J. Prod (d. 27 November, 1998) was a English wizard who lived in Didsbury, England in late 1992. He died on 27 November, 1998 after an argument with his wife, Elsie, over the washing-up. His obituary in the Daily Prophet mentioned that he died "noisily".
Little is known of Demetrius' early life; he was trained (albeit not well) in the magical arts and could perform weak enchantments. Sometime in his life, he met Elsie; the two would later marry, although they did not get along very well.
Sometime prior to January 1992, Demetrius wrote to Kwikspell Company, and a month thereafter managed to turn Elsie into a yak; he wrote an advertisement for the Kwikspell Company, proud of this feat. Harry Potter and Argus Filch would later read about this.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Demetrius was proficient in the art of transfiguration to an extent, being able to successfully transform his wife Elsie into a yak, an impressive magical achievement given the difficulty of performing Human Transfiguration.
Demetrius and his wife didn't seem to get along too well; she sneered at his feeble charms, and he once turned her into a yak. They frequently argued, and it was during one argument over the washing-up that Demetrius met his death.
The name "Demetrius" is the Latinised form of the Greek name Δημήτριος (Demetrios), which was derived from the name of the Greek goddess Demeter. Kings of Macedon and the Seleucid kingdom have had this name. This was also the name of several early saints, including a Saint Demetrius who was martyred in the 4th century.
Behind the scenes
- Demetrius Prod was portrayed by Chris Wilson in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince; he appears in a Daily Prophet photograph.
- Wilson's role on the original clothing tag from Warner Brothers costume department was "Yak Man"; as it was mentioned in the Call Sheet and all paperwork, it led Wilson to initially believe that "Yak Man" was the name of his character when he did a photo shoot at Warner Brothers Studios. Wilson was later told the character was in fact Demetrius Prod.
- In the books, he is known as D.J. Prod; he is first identified as "Demetrius J. Prod" in the Daily Prophet Newsletters.
- In the Danish translation of the book his name is not abbreviated, and it is changed to Pyllerman Pjok.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned) (as D. J. Prod)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance) (Appears in photographs)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The newspaper dates February 8th 1999. Seen as the death took place in November, it is likely it happened the year before.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party) - "Warlock D. J. Prod of Didsbury says: [...]"
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- Chris Wilson's CastingCallPro profile
- Chris Wilson's Starnow profile
- (see this image)