At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Hogwarts Legacy & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery & Harry Potter: Magic Awakened.
- "Peaceful, ape-like herbivores with the ability to turn invisible when threatened."
- — Description[src]
It could be found in the Far East, but only wizards and witches trained in their capture could even see them. It resembled a cross between a sloth and an ape with large, black eyes and long, silky hair.
Magizoologist Newton Scamander owned a Demiguise called Dougal, who escaped from his suitcase during his visit to New York in 1926 and caused a disturbance in the Ginzberg Delaunay department store while caring for an Occamy that had also escaped. He later found them both with a help of Queenie and Porpentina Goldstein, as well as No-Maj Jacob Kowalski.
As a child, Jules Egwu considered the Demiguise her favourite creature, as she was then very shy and envied its ability to make itself invisible.
During the 1986–1987 school year, a Demiguise stole sweets from the area around Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. It was later captured by Jacob's sibling, Penny Haywood, Andre and Jules Egwu. Jules later returned with it to Japan, where she was living at the time, as it was part of the creature's natural habitat range. Her parents were Magizoologists and she planned to ask them to find an appropriate place to release it.
Behind the scenes
- A Demiguise appears in the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, played by Edd Osmond.
- Given the Demiguise was described as peaceful, it is most likely that they were classified as XXXX because of the fact that special knowledge is required to catch them, not because of any particular danger. However, Newt Scamander said that they do bite if provoked.
- While shifting between visible and invisible, the Demiguise at some points appears translucent, as if blending in with the colours of its surrounding, in a similar manner to the effects of the Disillusionment Charm.
- The Demiguise behind the Hogsmeade thefts only stole sweet things, indicating that it had a taste for sugar. It's unclear if this was unique to this individual or a common trait of the species. However, Dougal stole a lollipop straight out of a child's hand and immediately devoured it before fleeing as he ventured across New York, indicating that he had a sweet tooth as well.
- The Demiguise was the penultimate boss in a special Forbidden Forest adventure in the Spring Festival update of 2022 in Harry Potter: Magic Awakened. Before the Demiguise could be fully defeated, its owner would emerge and summon Wizard's Chess pieces, the final bosses.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- Hogwarts Legacy (Appears as statue)
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 91
- ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’: 43 Things to Know about the New Wizarding World Story
- "'Fantastic Beasts': Meet the Creatures" at Entertainment Weekly
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Writing by J. K. Rowling: "Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" at Wizarding World - Isolt Sayre arrived with The Mayflower in 1620 and encountered a hidebehind after several weeks in the mountains.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2017 edition)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 90
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, "A SCANDAL IN HOGSMEADE" Achievement
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 34 (The Scroll And The Sarcophagus) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Demiguise"
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Demiguise · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|
|Study of Ancient Runes|
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|