- "His small face protruded from over the collar, looking almost painfully excited. When he had lined up with his terrified-looking peers, he caught Colin Creevey's eye, gave a double thumbs-up, and mouthed, I fell in the lake! He looked positively delighted about it."
- —Dennis' excitable personality[src]
Dennis Creevey (b. 1982/1983) was a Muggle-born wizard and the younger brother of Colin Creevey. He was a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry three years below the famous Harry Potter. Like his brother, he was Sorted into Gryffindor. His father was a milkman. In his second year, he joined Dumbledore's Army, an organisation led and taught by Harry Potter.
Early life (1982-1994)
Dennis was born into the Muggle Creevey family. Dennis' father was a milkman, and his mother was also a Muggle. In 1992 Dennis' older brother, Colin Creevey, received a letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry informing his family that Colin was a wizard, something which came of a shock to the family as Colin was a Muggle-born. Colin and his family were fascinated with this discovery, and it struck Colin's love of taking photos, most likely so he could show his Muggle family all about his life in the wizarding world. Dennis and his family would have gone through some stress over their son Colin's first year at Hogwarts as he was petrified by a Basilisk.
Two years later in 1994, Dennis also received a letter from Hogwarts, something which was very rare for a Muggle family: to bear two magically-gifted children.
Education at Hogwarts (1994-1997)
- "Guess what, Harry? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!"
- —The start of Dennis' education at Hogwarts[src]
Dennis' first year at Hogwarts was somewhat different to that of a regular first year, since Hogwarts was the hosting grounds for the Triwizard Tournament. Dennis witnessed the selection of both Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter as school champions. Throughout the year Dennis would have been learning first-year magic and watching the tasks of the tournament. During the final task, Hufflepuff champion Cedric was murdered by Peter Pettigrew under the direct orders of the newly restored to power Lord Voldemort. The claims of Voldemort's return meant worrying times for Dennis and his brother as they were Muggle-born, and Muggle-borns had been hunted during the First Wizarding War.
In his second year at Hogwarts, the school was put under the eyes of the Ministry of Magic, through Dolores Umbridge being appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts professor and High Inquisitor. During her stay Umbridge made student's education unpleasant, she enforced "medieval" forms of punishment and insisted on teaching only defensive magical theory. This provoked Hermione Granger to create an organisation known as Dumbledore's Army with the help of her friends Ron Weasley and Harry Potter, who would act as instructor to the group.
Both Dennis and his brother Colin joined this group. Dennis broke school rules when he sneaked out and followed his brother Colin on one of the Hogsmeade weekend trips to go to the Hog's Head for the first D.A. meeting. His roommate Nigel Wolpert would later join the D.A. as well. By the end of the year, it was confirmed that Lord Voldemort had indeed returned by the Ministry of Magic, following the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and therefore the Second Wizarding War had now officially started.
Third yearDennis' third year at Hogwarts would allow him to now attend Hogsmeade weekend trips with permission, he would also now pick his elective subjects, for example, Divination. This year was very eventful in the final few months, as Headmaster Albus Dumbledore was killed by Severus Snape and fell from the top of the Astronomy Tower. A crowd of students and staff which most likely included Dennis gathered around the fallen Headmaster's body. Afterwards, students attended the funeral, before being sent home on the Hogwarts Express.
The murder of Albus Dumbledore put fear into many as Dumbledore was believed to be the only man Lord Voldemort had ever feared, and with him gone, he would turn more ruthless. So much so that several students were being pulled out of education for their safety. With Dennis and his brother Colin being Muggle-born, they would especially be in living fear.
Pulled out of education (1997-1998)
After his finishing the 1996–1997 school year Dennis and his brother Colin were both pulled out of education given the serious events that took place the following school year, their parents did not feel safe having them return for the next school year at Hogwarts which was indirectly being run by Lord Voldemort through his followers, Severus Snape and Alecto and Amycus Carrow now that Albus Dumbledore had been murdered. With control of Hogwarts, Voldemort also took control indirectly of the Ministry of Magic by appointing a puppet-minister after Rufus Scrimgeour was killed. Now that the Ministry was in the hands of Voldemort a Muggle-Born Registration Commission was opened up, run by Dolores Umbridge, against whom Dennis had rebelled in his second year. This meant that Muggle-borns and their families went on the run.
- "Harry glanced down, and felt another dull blow to his stomach: Colin Creevey, though under-age must have sneaked back just as Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle had done. He was tiny in death."
- —Harry witnesses Oliver Wood carry Colin's dead body inside[src]
Like his elder brother, Dennis had mousy brown hair. At the start of his education, he was the smallest boy in his year.
Personality and traits
Dennis apparently had a similar personality to his older brother. Ronald Weasley described him as "even worse" regarding the brothers' enthusiasm for Harry Potter and Dumbledore's Army.
Magical abilities and skills
- Defence Against the Dark Arts: As an enthusiastic member of Dumbledore's Army, Dennis would have learned how to cast numerous offensive and defensive spells successfully under Harry Potter's masterful teaching.
- Dennis comes from the name Dionysos; In Greek mythology Dionysos was the god of wine, revelry, fertility and dance.
- Creevey is an actual English surname. It's an Anglicised form of the Gaelic "O'Craoibhe" meaning "descendant of Craobhach", a byname meaning "curly (-headed)" or "prolific" (from "craobh" meaning "branch, bough")
Behind the scenes
- In a deleted scene from the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Colin says that no one in his family is magical except him. At that time Dennis would already be 8 or 9 years old, and magical signs typically manifest in young witches and wizards around the age of 7. However, Dennis may be an exception to this, as was the case with Neville Longbottom. It may also be a reason why the scene was cut.
- Although Dennis doesn't physically appear in the films, his signature is seen on the list of members in Dumbledore's Army shown in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, meaning that his character is present offscreen.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Signature on parchment)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Notes and references
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 12 (The Triwizard Tournament) - "all of them except the smallest of the lot, a boy with mousy hair"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)