After finding both Harry Potter and Hermione Granger at the top of the Astronomy Tower, Argus Filch escorted them to Minerva McGonagall's office for punishment, with Minerva deciding they would be serving detention, joined by Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom, who were also found out of bed. Missives were delivered the following morning, notifying them to meet up Filch eleven o'clock that night at the Entrance Hall.
Filch led the four serving detention to meet up with Rubeus Hagrid, who told them that a unicorn had been injured in the Forbidden Forest and that they were to search for it. After some initial difficulty with Malfoy's behaviour, Harry, Malfoy, and Hagrid's hound, Fang found the slain unicorn; however, before they could report their discovery to Hagrid, a hooded figure swept down upon them, causing Malfoy and Fang to flee. Harry was paralysed by fright and the pain in his scar and could not run away. As Harry collapsed to the ground, he was saved by the Centaur Firenze. Firenze explained to Harry the magical properties of Unicorn blood and how the hooded figure was Lord Voldemort. Hagrid and the others soon appeared and they all returned to the castle.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Ron Weasley replaced Neville Longbottom in the film version, as the film changed the circumstances to how they were caught.
- The Detention! trading card illustrated by Scott M. Fischer from the Adventures at Hogwarts Expansion of the Harry Potter Trading Card Game, shows Minerva scolding Harry and Hermione with Neville in the background; it may be depicting the scene that led Minerva announcing this detention.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game