At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Everard and Dilys were two of Hogwarts’s most celebrated Heads. Their renown is such that both have portraits hanging in other important Wizarding institutions. As they are free to move between their own portraits they can tell us what may be happening elsewhere...."
- — Albus Dumbledore telling Harry Potter about Derwent and Everard[src]
Professor Dilys Derwent (d. 1768) was a witch who worked as a Healer at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries and was a celebrated Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her portrait hangs not only in the Headmaster's Office along with the portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses, but also in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries' main admitting area.
As a Healer and Headmistress
Derwent started working at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in 1722.
Derwent left the job in 1741 and became the Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that same year. She proved very popular among students and teachers, gaining her the status of one of the "most celebrated Heads" among Dumbledore and Everard. She died in the post in 1768.
- Albus Dumbledore: "Good, I take it Dilys will have seen him arrive, then —"
- Dilys Derwent: "Yes, they’ve taken him to St. Mungo’s, Dumbledore.... They carried him past under my portrait.... He looks bad...."
- — Albus Dumbledore communicating with Derwent's portrait[src]
When Arthur Weasley was attacked by Voldemort's snake Nagini in the Department of Mysteries in late 1995, Albus Dumbledore, then-Headmaster, asked Derwent to go to her portrait at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries's main admitting area in order to keep Dumbledore apprised on Mr Weasley's condition.
When Harry Potter went to the Headmaster's office, shortly after Lord Voldemort's defeat and the end of the Second Wizarding War, Dilys Derwent joined the ovation made by the previous Hogwarts Headmasters, sobbing unashamedly.
Magical abilities and skills
- Healing magic: As a professional Healer who worked at St Mungo's, Derwent would have been very accomplished and talented in the field of medical magic.
- Leadership skills: As a former Headmistress of Hogwarts school, Derwent was presumably a very capable headmistress and school leader, given her widespread popularity amongst both staff and students.
The name "Dilys" means "genuine" in Welsh. Derwent may be from the name of an English lake in Cumbria, in the Lake District called "Derwent Water".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 22 (St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries)
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 36 (The Flaw in the Plan)