Dolores Umbridge's wand was 8" long, made of birchwood with a dragon heartstring core. The wand length was considered "unusually short" by wandmaker Garrick Ollivander, indicating something was lacking in the owner's personality.
This wand was destroyed during the Skirmish in the Forbidden Forest, when it was snapped cleanly in half by a Centaur's hoof in 1996, when Umbridge was carried off by a herd she offended. Harry Potter tried to retrieve it right after she dropped it, but it was snapped before he could reach it.
Umbridge acquired a new wand later, and it was with this wand that she conjured her cat Patronus to ward off the Dementors in the British Ministry of Magic, as she sadistically prosecuted innocent Muggle-borns, when she was the Head of the Muggle-Born Registration Commission.
However, this wand was likely taken away when she was sent to Azkaban.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge's wand is a crimson colour with a pink gem placed in the centre. It, too, is shorter than the other wands shown.
- Due to the great possibility of the wand snapping around the pink gem, Imelda Staunton had to use precise flourishes to avoid breaking her prop.
- A new wand was made that connects the gem to the wand itself, so the wand would not break near the gem.
- According to Pottermore, abnormally short wands (8 inches and under) tend to belong to people who are "lacking" in personality, as there are many short witches and wizards with average sized wands.
- This wand being made of Birch wood is a reference to the practise of birching, a corporal punishment where a victim is beat with a birch rod, clearly being symbolic of Umbridge's cruelty towards her students when she worked at Hogwarts, and use of physical torture with her Black Quill.
- The wand was use to be sold at The Noble Collection but they stopped,possibly due to the great chance of breaking the wand. This led to knockoff versions being sold by private companie,the knockoff wand was a lighter color with a dirty pink gem. By this time popular online shopping websites already have this the following is (wish.com) (aliexpress.com) and other various companies.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Harry Potter
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Pottermore (transcript))
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Wand Lengths and Flexibility" at Wizarding World
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 12 (Professor Umbridge)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Careers Advice)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 33 (Fight and Flight)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)