- "That’s Dorcas Meadowes, Voldemort killed her personally..."
- —Description of Dorcas' death[src]
Dorcas was murdered by Lord Voldemort sometime in the second half of 1981, along with many members of the Order. In 1995, Mad-Eye Moody showed Harry Potter a group photo of the first Order of the Phoenix that included Dorcas.
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical mastery: Being a member of the Order of the Phoenix and considered a big enough threat to the Death Eaters that Voldemort himself murdered her, it is highly likely that Dorcas was a very powerful and talented witch, who was proficient in many different branches of magic.
The name "Dorcas" is derived from Greek δορκας (dorkas) meaning "gazelle". In the Bible, Dorcas (Latin: Tabitha) was an important disciple in Joppa, where she gave liberally of her time, money and skills. She was so loved that when she died, the other disciples in Joppa called Peter, who came and prayed over her and raised her from the dead.
Meadowes is an English topographical surname (ie. indicating where someone lived) of medieval origin. It denotes someone who lives in or near meadows/grassland.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First appearance)
- Wizarding World
Notes and references
- ↑ Dorcas appeared in a photograph with Marlene McKinnon that was taken two weeks prior to Marlene's death in July. This indicates Dorcas was alive in 1981 and must have been killed sometime between then and Voldemort's fall (31 October, 1981).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Pottermore
- ↑ Acts 9:36-42
- ↑ https://www.houseofnames.com/meadowes-family-crest