During a match with the Appleby Arrows, he crashed into the opposing team's Seeker, Gregory Cotton, while both were racing to catch the Golden Snitch. Cotton came out holding the Snitch, but an altercation with McBride ensued, during which jinxes were illegally exchanged, and McBride transfigured Cotton's head into a cabbage. McBride defended his actions to the referee, Josiah Plunkett, by claiming that Cotton had hit him with a Jelly-Fingers Curse during the race for the Snitch, and thus deserved to be "cabbaged."
The name "Dougal" is the anglicised form of the Gaelic name Dubhghall, which meant "dark stranger" from dubh "dark" and gall "stranger".
Notes and references
- ↑ As he was employed by the Pride of Portree by 1999 he was presumably over 17.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Wizards, Witches and Beings: M" on The Harry Potter Lexicon
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Wizards, Witches and Beings: C" on the Harry Potter Lexicon
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Daily Prophet newsletters" on The Harry Potter Lexicon
- ↑ "Wizards, Witches and Beings: P" on the Harry Potter Lexicon