- "The Doxy is often mistaken for a fairy though it is a quite separate species. Like the fairy, it has a minute human form, though in the Doxy's case this is covered in thick black hair and has an extra pair of arms and legs. The Doxy's wings are thick, curved, and shiny, much like a beetle's. Doxies are found throughout northern Europe and America, preferring cold climates."
- — Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
Physiology & Life cycle
The Doxy was covered in coarse black hair, and had an additional set of arms and legs. Doxies had shiny beetle-like wings, and a double row of sharp teeth. If bitten, a wizard or witch should take an antidote immediately, as their venom was highly poisonous. Doxies buried their eggs underground, and Doxy Queens can lay up to five-hundred at once. The eggs generally hatched in two to three weeks.
Interaction with humans
Doxies were considered pests. They can infest houses, taking up residence in the draperies. Removing them required a good supply of Doxycide. Alternatively, they can be dispatched with a simple Knockback Jinx, as doxies were particularly vulnerable to it, excluding the queens, which were more resistant.
The same year, Doxies were involved in one of the obstacles of the All-Wizard Tournament, which was designed by Kettleburn. After gaining control of a broomstick jinxed with a Hurling Hex, the participants had to use it to catch a released Doxie. Unfortunately, a cage full of additional Doxies was knocked over during the task, resulting in several participants and spectators being sent to the Hospital Wing with Doxy bites. Participants affected by the bites were medically disqualified from the final task by Madam Pomfrey 
During the 1990–1991 school year, there was a Doxy infestation at Hogwarts, with Corey Hayden, Andre Egwu and several others falling victim. Jacob's sibling, Chiara Lobosca, Barnaby Lee and Ben Copper helped the professors with the situation and brewed some Doxycide.
Fred and George Weasley used Doxy venom for their Skiving Snackboxes, a popular Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes product. In 1996, Harold Dingle tried to sell Doxy droppings to fifth-years, under the guise of them being powdered dragon claw, but these were confiscated by Hermione Granger.
Doxy is an archaic English term, meaning "prostitute". It derives from the German word Docke, meaning "doll".
Behind the scenes
- In the GBC video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Folio Bruti entry for these creatures is titled "Doxy Drone". This might mean that, like the male honey bees, doxies may have a biological haplodiploid sex-determination system or simply that male doxies have distinct behavioural patterns.
- Despite being described as being covered in coarse black hair in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, their depictions in the video games normally include little or no hair and a dark blue or purple colour.
- In some of the video games, most of the time a Venomous Tentacula is another way to effectively get rid of a doxy, for doxies are its favourite food.
- In one of the featurettes for the film inspired by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a Doxy is seen using a chameleon-like tongue to catch and eat a Billywig.
- Despite gaining a new appearance in the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the Doxy seen in Cases of the Wizarding World returns to its original appearance.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Not in PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Not in PC version)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 34 (Final Preparations) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Doxy"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, "ALL-WIZARD VICTOR" Achievement - Part 3, Side Quest "The Second Task"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 17 (An Infestation of Doxies)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 18 (Long Live the Doxy Queen)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 11 (Hermione's Helping Hand)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|