Dragon's eggs tend to be very large (around 12 to 18 inches) and need a lot of heat from their mothers to hatch. Dragon mothers are very protective of their eggs, as was found out in the Triwizard Tournament when Harry Potter's Hungarian Horntail violently tried to stop Harry from capturing the Golden egg, thinking it was one of her real eggs. Dragon eggs are considered a Class A Non-Tradeable Material.
In Harry's First year at Hogwarts, Hagrid won a dragon's egg off a stranger he met down at the Hog's Head pub in Hogsmeade. The stranger was wearing a cloak so that no one could see his identity, but it is later learned it was Professor Quirrell. Hagrid kept the egg in order to try to hatch it by keeping it in the fireplace. Eventually it did hatch, but in the end Norbert was sent to Romania with a bunch of Charlie Weasley's friends.
Following the burial of Aragog, Hagrid and Horace Slughorn sat together in Hagrid's cabin and got drunk on Berry Ocky Rot. While drunk, they began swapping tales of the illegal trade in dragon eggs and Harry Potter used the conversation as cover to refill the wine using the Refilling Charm without being noticed.
During the Calamity which affected the Wizarding world in the 2010s, dragon eggs were some of the numerous magical items and artefacts which were mysteriously scattered across the world as Foundables, guarding by Confoundables, which had to overpowered by volunteer wizards and witches of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force to return the Foundables to their rightful place.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter for Kinect (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Page of notes concerning the book Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit that is available on J. K. Rowling's official site.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 22 (The Unexpected Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 14 (Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 22 (After the Burial)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite