At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Dragon heartstring is a material from a dragon that can be used in the core of a wand. It is unknown from which varieties of dragon the heartstrings are collected, and what effect this difference makes on the attributes of the wand, if any. Since the heart is a vital organ in all creatures, it can be assumed that the material is taken after the dragon has either died of natural causes or been killed. It is also unknown what quantity of heartstrings can be collected from each dragon's heart.
Dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most magic power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.
Usage by wandmakers
The wandmaker Garrick Ollivander is known to use dragon heartstrings as one of his three cores; the others being unicorn hairs and phoenix feathers. Gregorovitch also used dragon heartstring in his wands, such as the one he made for Viktor Krum.
The following wands have a known dragon heartstring core:
- Hermione Granger's wand
- Viktor Krum's wand
- Bellatrix Lestrange's wand
- Gilderoy Lockhart's wand
- Minerva McGonagall's wand
- Garrick Ollivander's wand
- Peter Pettigrew's wand
- Dolores Umbridge's wand
- Horace Slughorn's wand
- Lucius Malfoy's wand
- Gormlaith Gaunt's second wand
- Mr Boot's wand
- Unknown Ollivander wand
- Jacob's wand
- Penelope Fawley's wand
- An applewood wand made by Garrick Ollivander
- A beechwood wand made by Garrick Ollivander
Behind the scenes
- In medical science, "heartstrings" refer to the chordae tendineae of the heart, which connect the papillary muscles to the tricuspid and mitral valves so they can open and close as the heart pumps blood between atrial and ventricular chambers. It is possible that this is the source of a heartstring used in wand cores, although the anatomy of a dragon's heart is not known.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery