Dragon hide is the skin of dragons, which is used to make protective clothing. Where Muggles would wear leather, wizards and witches will wear dragon hide. The skin is very tough, impervious to a multitude of spells, and provides immense protection, while at the same time having the same texture and appearance as the skin of snakes. For this reason, dragon hide is used to make protective gloves, boots, jackets, belts, and shields, as it is very useful when handling corrosive or poisonous potion ingredients that damage the skin. The hide of the Swedish Short-Snout is notably popular in demand.
- Fred and George Weasley wore dragon skin jackets when they greeted Harry after his fifth school year. This was a clear indicator of their recent affluence with the success of their Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes joke shop in Diagon Alley.
- Professor Horace Slughorn had a dragon-skin briefcase, with gold clasps.
- When Rubeus Hagrid and Olympe Maxime went to be emissaries to the giants, on Albus Dumbledore's behalf, they brought a roll of dragon skin as a gift for the Gurg.
- When Harry went to the Burrow before his fourth year he met Bill Weasley, who was wearing dragon skin boots.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them