At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed had this been your examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this week's essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get D’s."
- — Severus Snape to fifth years in Potions[src]
Dreadful is one of the three failing grades, out of six grades overall, in the Ordinary Wizarding Levels, Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, and Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Tests. It is the second lowest mark, immediately below 'Poor' and immediately above 'Troll'.
If a student is given a 'Dreadful' grade on their O.W.L. test, they cannot continue on with that subject as a N.E.W.T. class. This is the same for the other failing grades: 'Poor' and 'Troll'. It is unknown if a student can repeat the subject if they receive a 'Dreadful'.
Recipients of a D
|Harry Potter||History of Magic O.W.L.||1996|
Notes: Harry passed out during his exam and didn't finish.
|Passing Grades||Fail Grades|
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery