At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
It resembled a piece of dead wood while stationary. It had finned paws and sharp teeth, and glided through marshland, feeding on small animals, and occasionally attacking the ankles of humans who ventured into its habitat. Its favourite food was the Mandrake, and due to this, Mandrake-growers had found their plants nothing more than a bloody mess when they pulled them out of the ground.
Bartemius Crouch Junior, disguised as Alastor Moody, taught the trio how to handle aggressive Dugbogs in extracurricular Defence Against the Dark Arts classes in the 1994–1995 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Dugbogs could also be found in the Forbidden Forest that school year.
When Ron Weasley was to write an essay on resisting Dementors in his sixth year for Professor Snape for the Defence Against the Dark Arts, due to the Spell-Checking Quill's effects eroding from time, the term "Dementors" on the essay changed to "Dugbogs".
Behind the scenes
- In the Goblet of Fire video game, Dugbogs are depicted as highly aggressive beasts which will attack the player upon sight, that can burrow out of the ground instantly in the United Kingdom. This depiction seems to very much contradict their description in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned on newspaper)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|