|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "Veil, ve have a castle also, not as big as this, nor as comfortable, I am thinking. Ve have just four floors, and the fires are lit only for magical purposes. But ve have grounds larger even than these — though in vinter, ve have very little daylight, so ve are not enjoying them. But in summer ve are flying every day, over the lakes and the mountains —"
- —Viktor Krum describes Durmstrang to Hermione Granger.[src]
Durmstrang Castle is a four-stories high castle located in Sweden or Norway, that houses Durmstrang Institute. The castle has existed since at least 1294, around the year of the first Triwizard Tournament.
Durmstrang is not quite as big as Hogwarts. The castle is only four stories tall and fires are only lit for magical purposes. It has very extensive grounds compared to Hogwarts and it is surrounded by lakes and mountains. It gets really cold in winter as they get very little daylight. Sometime around mid to late 1890s, Gellert Grindelwald carved the calling card of his obsession, the Deathly Hallows, onto one of the walls of the castle before his expulsion, which mark was apparently irremovable, as it remains even by 1994, when Viktor Krum was in his last year of studentship, when several students copied it onto their bags or books as a means to impress or intimidate others, much to the chagrin of those who lost family members to the dark wizard.
It is known that Durmstrang is one of, if not, the most secretive of all the eleven wizarding schools. Like Hogwarts, the school is Unplottable; Durmstrang, like other schools, likes to conceal its whereabouts so the other schools cannot steal their secrets, and presumably protected by Anti-intruder jinxes, Muggle-Repelling Charms and Concealment Charms to hide its location from plain sight. Due to the school policy of keeping the school hidden from everyone, it is also likely that it is impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within the castle and grounds, and visitors even have to agree to be subjected to a Memory Charm upon departure so they forget the school's exact location.
Behind the scenes
- In an interview with Accio Quote J. K. Rowling stated that Durmstrang was located in Scandinavia, in the far north of either Sweden or Norway.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)