A Dwarf is a short, stocky humanoid magical creature; little is known about them, though they are known to be extremely strong for their size, as one had held Harry Potter by his ankles to give him a letter.
On Valentine's Day in 1993, Hogwarts professor Gilderoy Lockhart, had a whole squad of Dwarfs dressed up as cupids deliver singing valentines around the school, one of which was delivered to Harry Potter from Ginevra Weasley. Later that year, Harry also spotted a few raucous Dwarves in the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley.
Behind the scenes
- In the folklore of Germany and Scandinavia, Dwarfs are a race of small supernatural beings who are known to be good with the axe and usually use axes to guard magnificent treasures buried deep inside the Earth for who ever is ruling over them, usually a queen. They usually look like small men with large heads, wizened faces, wearing animal (usually a sort of goat) masks, long grey beards, weapons as big as themselves, and misshapen legs and feet.
- The Danish word "Dværg" can be translated into "midget" and "dwarf." In the Danish version of the fifth game, "Dværg" is used when Ronald Weasley refers to first years as "midgets" in the original version; hence, "Dwarf" can be seen as being used as an insult.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned as an insulting term) (Danish version only)