Earmuffs are headgear designed to protect the ears and shut out sound.
They are essential equipment in handling mandrakes as their screams are fatal to humans. Second year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry use earmuffs when learning to re-pot young mandrakes, as although the cries are not yet lethal, they can still render a person unconscious.
In the 1992–1993 school year, the second years fought to not get stuck with the pink and fluffy earmuffs, in a scenario in which, for once, Neville Longbottom's luck was not all bad, and the Professor herself took the undesired items.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, entering an earmuff wardrobe will give you earmuffs so that you can pick up and carry Mandrakes, allowing their voices to shatter glass objects. These earmuffs come in three different colour varieties, green, pink and grey and the grey ones seem to resemble earpieces typically worn by spies.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault