- Worple: "Harry Potter, I am simply delighted! I was saying to Professor Slughorn only the other day, ‘Where is the biography of Harry Potter for which we have all been waiting?’... But seriously, I would be delighted to write it myself — people are craving to know more about you, dear boy, craving! If you were prepared to grant me a few interviews, say in four- or five-hour sessions, why, we could have the book finished within months... My dear boy, the gold you could make, you have no idea —"
- Harry: "I'm definitely not interested, and I've just seen a friend of mine, sorry."
- — Eldred Worple trying to convince Harry Potter to let him write his biography[src]
Eldred Worple (fl. 1970-1997) was a wizard and writer who was once a favourite student of Horace Slughorn. He studied vampires, even becoming friends with one named Sanguini, and wrote Blood Brothers: My Life Amongst the Vampires. Worple was described as "small, stout, and bespectacled."
In 1996, Worple attended a Slug Club Christmas party at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and brought Sanguini as a guest. There, Professor Slughorn introduced them to Harry Potter. Worple tried to convince Harry to let him write his biography citing the money to be made, but Harry who was not fond of fame and already had money, declined, and quickly went to speak to his friend Hermione Granger. Worple also tried to distract Sanguini from some young women's necks by shoving a pasty in his hand.
Behind the scenes
- Eldred Worple was portrayed by English actor Paul Ritter in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. He looks quite different from his book counterpart, as he is rather tall (rather than stout) and does not wear glasses.
The name "Eldred" is from an English surname which was derived from EALDRÆD. The name itself means "Old Advisor".
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- Horace Slughorn resigned from his teaching position in 1981, meaning Worple would have been a member of the Slug Club by at least then. Slughorn began teaching in 1931.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 15 (The Unbreakable Vow)
- Paul Ritter as Eldred Worple in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)