Elladora Ketteridge (1656 - 1729) was the first witch to discover the magical properties of Gillyweed, having done so by accident. She nearly suffocated after eating the plant, but saved herself by sticking her head into a bucket of water.
Behind the scenes
- Despite the fact that Elladora Ketteridge discovered the effects of Gillyweed, it is said that Beaumont Marjoribanks discovered the existence of the plant about a century later. This error would be fixed if the dates were switched, or if Ketteridge was alive at the same time as, or after Majoribanks, as Majoribanks only discovered the existence of Gillyweed, while Ketteridge discovered its magical effects.
- While she discovered the properties of Gillyweed, Ketteridge did so in an accidental manner, and as no other information is known about Ketteridge's career, it is unknown if she regularly studied plants as a Herbologist, or if this was just a one-time fluke.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Pottermore (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references