Elladora Ketteridge (1656 - 1729) was the first witch to discover the magical properties of Gillyweed. She nearly suffocated after eating the plant, but saved herself by sticking her head into a bucket of water.
Magical abilities and skills
- Herbology: Ketteridge in her lifetime made a highly impressive and significant achievement in the field of Herbology, through being the first witch to discover the magical properties of the plant Gillyweed, something she immortalised on a Chocolate Frog Card for.
Behind the scenes
- Despite the fact that Elladora Ketteridge discovered the effects of Gillyweed, it is said that the Herbologist Beaumont Marjoribanks discovered the existence of the plant about a century later. This error would be fixed if the dates were switched, or if Ketteridge was alive at the same time as, or after Majoribanks, as Majoribanks only discovered the existence of Gillyweed, while Ketteridge discovered its magical effects.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Pottermore (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.