Switch was the author of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration. This book was a required textbook for first-year and second-year Transfiguration classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He also contributed an article on the scientific aspects of Human Transfiguration to Transfiguration Today in 1926.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Switch was an expert on this highly advanced, complicated and scientific branch of magic, having authored the Transfiguration textbook A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration, as well as having contributed to the academic journal Transfiguration Today about Human Transfiguration, showing his proficiency and skill in this field.
Emeric is a variant of Emmerich, which means "whole, universal". This could relate to him being able to do transfiguration, as he can wholly turn something into something universally else.
To switch is to exchange one thing with another; could be extended to transfiguration, changing one form into another.
Behind the scenes
- Emeric Switch's portrait, as featured in the Harry Potter films, seems to have been based on a c. 1795 portrait of English poet Robert Southey, by Pieter van Dyke.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Name seen on wood panelling)
- Harry Potter: The Exhibition (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Making of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned on a magazine cover)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned in History of Magic classes)
Notes and references
Ædificium Oriens · Apothecary department · Book of Monster's Repair Workshop · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Cauldron cupboard · First year written exams classroom · Ghoul Studies classroom · The Grindylow Lagoon · Horace Slughorn's first office · Laundry · Lower Art Room · Quad balcony · Rolanda Hooch's office · Stink Bomb Store · Study Hall
|Portraits, statues and other artwork located in unknown locations|