|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "Yeah. Would it be okay if that's ten years? [No one laughed.] No, listen, I absolutely intend to do it, but I can't pretend that I'm in a hurry right now. It's gonna be a hell of a lot of work. But I have - I've kept everything and I know where things are and yeah, at some point I will get myself together and do it."
- —J. K. Rowling[src]
The Harry Potter Encyclopedia, also called the Scottish Book, is a planned guidebook by J. K. Rowling as the authoritive directory of all the creatures, characters, places, and other elements that comprise the Harry Potter universe, containing mostly un-published notes, letters, drawings, etc. As of May 2012, this project appears to been postponed or cancelled in favour of Pottermore.
In a (somewhat) recent interview with PotterCast, Rowling revealed she definitely intends to write the encyclopedia, but wished not to rush the process.
In court testimony in April 2008 (regarding grounds of copyright infringement) Rowling stated that she had 'recently' begun working on the project.
On 4 September, 2009, the Leaky Cauldron website reported that Rowling's fellow author, friend, and neighbor, Ian Rankin, mentioned in a BBC interview that Rowling had been "making family trees of all her characters", presumably for the encyclopedia.
However, on May 2012, Rowling updated her offical site to say that she no longer had "firm plans" to publish an encyclopedia in book form, saying that she was currently choosing to share information on Pottermore for free instead.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling's calling it "The Scottish Book" is probably a reference to the way the play Macbeth is called "The Scottish Play".
Notes and references
- Larry Neumeister/Associated Press, "Rowling Testifies in Lawsuit Over Harry Potter Encyclopedia", Washington Post, 15th April 2008, Pg. C04 (accessed 27th August 2009).
- FAQs - J. K. Rowling Official Site
- J.K. Rowling PotterCast Interview
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|