|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "Yeah. Would it be okay if that's ten years? [No one laughed.] No, listen, I absolutely intend to do it, but I can't pretend that I'm in a hurry right now. It's gonna be a hell of a lot of work. But I have - I've kept everything and I know where things are and yeah, at some point I will get myself together and do it."
- —J. K. Rowling[src]
The Harry Potter Encyclopedia is a planned guidebook by J. K. Rowling as the authoritive directory of all the creatures, characters, places, and other elements that comprise the Harry Potter universe. In a recent interview with PotterCast, Rowling reveals she definitely intends to write the encyclopedia, but wishes not to rush the process. Interestingly, she refers to it as "The Scottish Book", a reference to the way the play Macbeth is called "The Scottish Play". Among the subjects covered will be the method of creating a Horcrux, the manner in which Peter Pettigrew gave Lord Voldemort a rudimentary body, and the reasons for Florean Fortescue's murder.
Behind the scenes
- On grounds of copyright infringement, Rowling took legal action against an individual planning publications of his own unofficial encyclopedia of the Harry Potter universe. In court testimony in April 2008, Rowling stated she had "recently" begun work on the project. 
- On 4 September, 2009, the Leaky Cauldron website reported that Rowling's fellow author, as well as friend and neighbour, Ian Rankin, mentioned in a BBC interview that Rowling had been "making family trees of all her characters" for the encyclopedia.
- On 13 September, 2009, The Sunday Mail published on their website that Neil Blair, a lawyer for Rowling's agents Christopher Little said: "The encyclopedia simply remains something Ms. Rowling would like to complete sometime in the future."  As such there is no indication as to when, or if, this work will see publication.
- The Harry Potter encyclopedia was rumoured to be the subject of J.K Rowling's Pottermore announcement on 22 June, 2011, but it was revealed that this is not the case. However, the website features 18,000 new words of back story on characters, places, things, etc.
Notes and references
- ↑ J.K. Rowling PotterCast Interview
- ↑ Larry Neumeister/Associated Press, "Rowling Testifies in Lawsuit Over Harry Potter Encyclopedia", Washington Post, 15th April 2008, Pg. C04 (accessed 27th August 2009).
- ↑ http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2009/9/4/ian-rankin-says-jk-rowling-writing-family-trees-and-working-on-scottish-book
- ↑ Attorney for JK Rowling Says Scottish Book is Something to be Completed "Sometime in the Future"
- ↑ Neil Blair: Harry Potter Encyclopedia will be released.. eventually
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|