- "I have been enjoying sharing information about Harry’s world on Pottermore for free, and don’t have any firm plans to publish it in book form."
- — J. K. Rowling FAQ answer, confirming she no longer has any solid plans for this book
The Encyclopaedia of Potterworld, also called the Scottish Book, is a planned guidebook by J. K. Rowling as the authoritative directory of all the creatures, characters, places, and other elements that comprise the Harry Potter universe, containing mostly un-published notes, letters, drawings, etc. As of May 2012, this project appears to been postponed or cancelled in favour of Pottermore.
In an interview with PotterCast, Rowling stated that she definitely intended to write the encyclopaedia, but wished not to rush the process.
In court testimony in April 2008 (regarding grounds of copyright infringement) Rowling stated that she had 'recently' begun working on the project.
On 4 September, 2009, the Leaky Cauldron website reported that Rowling's fellow author, friend, and neighbour, Ian Rankin, mentioned in a BBC interview that Rowling had been "making family trees of all her characters", presumably for the encyclopaedia.
However, in May 2012, Rowling updated her official site to say that she no longer had "firm plans" to publish an encyclopaedia in book form, saying that she was currently choosing to share information on Pottermore for free instead.
Emma watson has recently addressed the harry potter rumours and tweets out supporting J.K rowling tweets with the harry potter rumours -
If published, subjects covered might include the method of creating a Horcrux, the manner in which Peter Pettigrew gave Lord Voldemort a rudimentary body, and the reasons for Florean Fortescue's murder.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling's calling it "The Scottish Book" is a reference to the way the play Macbeth is called "The Scottish Play," as it is considered bad luck to speak the play's name out loud, particularly before a performance.
Notes and references
- See this FAQ on J. K. Rowling Official Site via the Web Archive
- Larry Neumeister/Associated Press, "Rowling Testifies in Lawsuit Over Harry Potter Encyclopedia", Washington Post, 15th April 2008, Pg. C04 (accessed 27th August 2009).
- FAQs - J. K. Rowling Official Site
- J.K. Rowling PotterCast Interview
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts (film series)|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 3||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|