At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "These straightforward but surprisingly dangerous charms cause certain things to swell or shrink. You will be learning both charms together, so that you can always undo an over-enthusiastic cast. There is thus no excuse for having accidentally shrunk your homework down to microscopic size or for allowing a giant toad to rampage through your school’s flower gardens."
- —Miranda Goshawk[src]
The Engorgement Charm (Engorgio), also known as Growing Charm, is a charm that causes the target to swell immensely. It is the counter-charm for the Shrinking Charm, causing shrunken objects to return to their original size.
If the caster attempts to engorge the target beyond a certain point it will violently explode. Although this spell is safe to use on animals, its use is not recommended until the counter-charm has been perfected.
Miranda Goshawk included this charm in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2, the third spell in the book. She also wrote about it in Book of Spells alongside the Shrinking Charm, which can be used to counteract this charm.
|Jacob's sibling||1985–1986 school year||Jacob's sibling used an Engorgement Charm alongside the Shrinking Charm to sneak into another House common room.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||1992–1993 school year||Hermione suspected that Hagrid has used an Engorgement Charm on his pumpkins.|
|Fred and George Weasley||August 1994||The twins placed an Engorgement Charm on the Ton-Tongue Toffee that they "accidentally" dropped in front of Dudley Dursley.|
|Kevin||The little wizard boy in the World Cup was casting an Engorgement Spell (or something very similar) on a slug.|
|Barty Crouch Jr||Autumn, 1994||He used an Engorgement Charm on each of the three spiders he had bought to his fourth year Defence Against the Dark Arts class to demonstrate the Unforgivable Curses.|
|Harry Potter||December, 1997||Harry cast this on a spider to practise with the blackthorn wand.|
|Albus Potter||September, 2020||In an alternate reality, these two boys cast this spell on Cedric Diggory in an attempt to humiliate him so that he would lose the Triwizard Tournament, and be saved from death.|
The word engorge means "to fill to excess".
Behind the scenes
- Given that every potion's brewing process can only be completed by casting a spell, and that it can vary for each potion, the most likely spell used to complete the Swelling Solution is the Engorgement Charm.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Appears in alternate reality)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Appears in alternate reality)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pottermore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 2 (Growing and Shrinking)
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 4 (Back to The Burrow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 20 (Xenophilius Lovegood)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Two, Scene Twenty
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Banishing Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Fire-Making Spell · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Memory Charm · Mending Charm · Severing Charm · Softening Charm · Substantive Charm · Summoning Charm · Tickling Charm · Unlocking Charm|