At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in: Hogwarts Legacy & Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery & Harry Potter: Magic Awakened.
- "These straightforward but surprisingly dangerous charms cause certain things to swell or shrink. You will be learning both charms together, so that you can always undo an over-enthusiastic cast. There is thus no excuse for having accidentally shrunk your homework down to microscopic size or for allowing a giant toad to rampage through your school’s flower gardens."
- — Miranda Goshawk[src]
The Engorgement Charm (Engorgio), also known as Growing Charm, was a charm that caused the target to swell immensely. It was the counter-charm for the Shrinking Charm, causing shrunken objects to return to their original size.
If the caster attempted to engorge the target beyond a certain point, it would violently explode. Although this spell was safe to use on animals, its use was not recommended until the counter-charm had been perfected.
Miranda Goshawk included this charm in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2, the third spell in the book. She also wrote about it in Book of Spells alongside the Shrinking Charm, which could be used to counteract this charm.
|Silvanus Kettleburn||Unknown||Used this charm to enlarge an Ashwinder snake for use in a theatrical performance of The Fountain of Fair Fortune at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.|
|Jacob's sibling||1985–1986 school year||Jacob's sibling used an Engorgement Charm alongside the Shrinking Charm to sneak into another House common room.|
|1986–1987 school year||Used the charm to enlarge themselves to full size after shrinking themselves in Argus Filch's office.|
|1987–1988 school year||Used the charm to enlarge Bill Weasley's and Tulip Karasu's Butterbeers in the Three Broomsticks Inn.|
|1989–1990 school year||Used it to enlarge the tribute items for the Merpeople in the Great Lake.|
|Merula Snyde||1987–1988 school year||Merula used an Engorgement Charm to enlarge a niffler to a gigantic size, increasing the damage it could do, hoping to get Jacob's sibling and their friends in trouble.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||1992–1993 school year||Hermione suspected that Hagrid has used an Engorgement Charm on his pumpkins.|
|Fred and George Weasley||August, 1994||The twins placed an Engorgement Charm on the Ton-Tongue Toffee that they "accidentally" dropped in front of Dudley Dursley.|
|Kevin||The little wizard boy in the World Cup was casting an Engorgement Spell (or something very similar) on a slug.|
|Barty Crouch Jnr||Autumn, 1994||He used an Engorgement Charm a spider he had bought to his fourth year Defence Against the Dark Arts class, in order to demonstrate the Cruciatus Curse on it.|
|Harry Potter||December, 1997||Harry cast this on a spider to practise with the blackthorn wand.|
|Robyn Thistlethwaite||September, 2008||Robyn used this spell on a copy of The Monster Book of Monsters to get a better look at it.|
|Albus Potter||September, 2020||In an alternate reality, these two boys cast this spell on Cedric Diggory in an attempt to humiliate him so that he would lose the Triwizard Tournament, and be saved from death.|
The word engorge means "to fill to excess".
Behind the scenes
- Given that every potion's brewing process can only be completed by casting a spell, and that it can vary for each potion, the most likely spell used to complete the Swelling Solution is the Engorgement Charm.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, instead of testing his newly gained Blackthorn wand on a spider, Harry used the Engorgement Charm on a candleflame, which caused it to burst into an uncontrollable column of flame before he swiftly used the countercharm.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned) (Indirectly mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Appears in an alternate reality)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Appears in an alternate reality)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wizarding World
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- Hogwarts Legacy
Notes and references
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 1 (Year Two Begins) - Charms Lesson "Engorgio"
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard - "The Fountain of Fair Fortune"
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 2 (Growing and Shrinking)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 4 (Filching from Filch)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 4 (Curse-Breakers)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 42 (The Final Vault)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, "Magical Creatures Everywhere" Achievement - Part 3, Side Quest "Creature Problems"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 7 (Mudbloods And Murmurs)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 4 (Back to The Burrow)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 20 (Xenophilius Lovegood)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Two, Scene Twenty
|The Standard Book of Spells|
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Dancing Feet Spell (Tarantallegra) · Disarming Charm (Expelliarmus) · Engorgement Charm (Engorgio) · Fire-Making Spell (Incendio) · Freezing Charm (Immobulus) · General Counter-Spell (Finite Incantatem) · Levitation Charm (Wingardium Leviosa) · Locking Spell (Colloportus) · Memory Charm (Obliviate) · Mending Charm (Reparo) · Nonverbal spell · Severing Charm (Diffindo) · Skurge Charm (Skurge) · Softening Charm (Spongify) · Substantive Charm · Summoning Charm (Accio) · Tickling Charm (Rictusempra) · Unlocking Charm (Alohomora) · Wand-Lighting Charm (Lumos)|