At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- ""Episkey," said Tonks. Harry's nose felt very hot, then very cold. He raised a hand and felt it gingerly. It seemed to be mended."
- —Nymphadora Tonks fixes Harry Potter's broken nose[src]
Known casters and uses
|Poppy Pomfrey||1985–1986 school year||Madam Promfrey asked Jacob's sibling to first study the spell, she then proceeded to teach them the spell.|
|Jacob's sibling||1985–1986 school year||Jacob's sibling learned this spell in order to help out Madam Promfrey in the Hospital Wing.|
|Nymphadora Tonks||1 September, 1996||Tonks used this spell to fix Harry Potter's broken nose.|
|Harry Potter||November, 1996||Harry used it to fix Demelza Robins' broken lip; he probably had not learned it in class, but assumed that if it could heal broken noses, it could heal split lips.|
The word comes from the Greek "episkevi" ("επισκευή"), which means "repair".
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling writes in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that Harry's knowledge tells him this spell could belong to a variety of healing spells, in the same way a species of plants belongs to a larger genus.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Luna Lovegood finds Harry on the Hogwarts Express instead of Nymphadora Tonks. Luna also uses the Episkey spell to mend Harry's broken nose when they reach the Entrance Gates to Hogwarts.
- Luna mentions in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that she had never fixed a broken nose before, prior to healing Harry's with this spell "only a few broken toes, and, well, how different are they really?". It is therefore likely that this spell can be used to mend broken toes, or might be primarily intended for that purpose.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Episkey does not cause a cold-hot sensation, but rather pain. Harry yells in pain when Luna sets his nose, although this may just be because of the usual pain of setting a dislocated bone.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, it's a year 2 side quest spell, you, as Jacob's sibling, will be taught with help of the standard spells book in the house Common Room, and will be directly taught by Madam Pomphrey herself. After finishing the mission to treat a student with sleepwalking, this can also be used as a defensive healing move when duelling that gives medium heal, with chances to heal more over 2 turns. The incantation is "Episkey".
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.