At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
For gameplay-specific information, please see the relevant article on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Wiki!
Much was working for the British Ministry of Magic by August 1995. During the day, Munch sat at the security desk on the left side of the Atrium, checking visitors with a Probity Probe and registering their wands before giving them clearance to enter. Munch seemed to find this portion of his job very tedious. When Harry Potter stopped by the security desk on the way to a hearing on 12 August 1995, Munch went through the check-in protocols mechanically, only noticing the famous lightning-bolt scar when he had finished. Realising who Harry was, Munch asked him to wait, but Arthur Weasley dragged Harry away from the security desk.
Munch apparently also worked the night shift on occasion. He caught Sturgis Podmore trying to break into Department of Mysteries at one o'clock in the morning on 31 August, 1995 and arrested him on charges of trespass and attempted robbery.
Behind the scenes
- Munch was featured on a conceptual art for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He was not, however, featured in the actual film.
- Eric Munch's conspicuous absence during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries is noted by Harry when he arrives, apparently not being on duty that night. Alternatively, unless he was incapacitated by the Death Eaters and put somewhere out of sight as not to arouse the suspicion of those who might pass through the Atrium after their arrival, it is possible that Lucius Malfoy or one of the other Death Eaters present with ties to the Ministry was able to arrange a distraction that would keep him occupied elsewhere so that the Death Eaters could enter the Department of Mysteries unseen.
The name "Eric" comes from the Old Norse name Eiríkr, derived from the elements ei "ever" and ríkr "ruler". A notable bearer was Eiríkr inn Rauda (Eric the Red in English), a 10th-century navigator and explorer who discovered Greenland. This was also the name of several early kings of Sweden, Denmark and Norway.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14 (Percy and Padfoot)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 7 (The Ministry of Magic)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite - Redacted Report: "A thorough reading of the report shows that Grim Fawley appears to have come to the rescue of Ministry Watchwizard Eric Munch in the Department of Mysteries' Brain Room."