- "Ernie didn’t seem to have mastered the use of a steering wheel. The Knight Bus kept mounting the pavement, but it didn’t hit anything; lines of lampposts, mailboxes, and trash cans jumped out of its way as it approached and back into position once it had passed. "
- — Ernie's questionable driving skills[src]
Ernest Prang's origin is unknown. He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in his youth, and was a member of Gryffindor house. Eventually, he began driving the Knight Bus. He worked with Stan Shunpike, the conductor of the Knight Bus, who sometimes called Ernie by his nickname, Ern.
Harry Potter first encountered Prang in 1993, when he was picked up by the Knight Bus after leaving his Aunt and Uncle's house. When Harry was taken to the Leaky Cauldron Ernie followed him in and was forced to leave by Cornelius Fudge, the then-Minister of Magic.
Personality and traits
Prang was very clearly committed to his driving, and seldom talked much to passengers on the Knight Bus. (leaving that to Stan Shunpike, preferring to concentrate on his driving). He also was clearly a supporter of Albus Dumbledore, following his decision to attend his funeral, implying he also supported the Order of the Phoenix and its goals as well.
Prang's driving skills left much to be desired and were in dire need of improvement, as he frequently drove off the road and into objects, such as post boxes, lamp posts and trees. This may have been at least partly due to the bus' extreme speed. Fortunately, due to the bus' magical nature, the objects got out of the way.
Ernie Prang and Stan Shunpike, the driver and conductor of the Knight Bus, were named after J. K. Rowling's grandfathers, Ernest Arthur Rowling and Stanley George Volant, respectively. Ernie's last name is a play on words, as "prang" is English slang meaning "to wreck an automobile".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Ernie is played by the late Jimmy Gardner.
- In the 2004 LEGO Harry Potter set 4755 Knight Bus, Prang was replaced by Stanley Shunpike as the driver of the Knight Bus. Despite this, Prang was included later in the 2011 remake set 4866 Knight Bus.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Consoles and Windows versions)
- LEGO Harry Potter
Notes and references
- He had already left Hogwarts by 1993, meaning he was most likely of age.
- "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 3 (The Knight Bus)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (see this image)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (see video)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 30 (The White Tomb)