Magical abilities and skills
- Dark Arts: Ethelred was skilfull with the casting of unpleasant curses during his lifetime, which he often inflicted on innocent individuals unprovoked, gaining him his sinister and disturbed reputation.
- The name Ethelred is composed from Old English elements æðele, meaning "noble", and ræd, meaning "counsel", being bombastic and common in the Royal House of Wessex.
Behind the scenes
- Ethelred the Every-Ready's name was likely inspired by King Ethelred II of England, who was known as the Unready after his death (from Old English Æþelræd Unræd). In that time, "unready" was probably understood pejorative as "evil counsel" (opposite to the name) or "bad plan"; the king was considered ill-advised or indecisive in his conflict with the Danes.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Pottermore (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.