At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Eustace Burke was a wizard, who worked as a Healer at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in the early 1990s, who also worked as an inside agent for R, a cabal of Dark Wizards, in the hospital.
At some point in either 1975 or 1976, Burke began working for St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries as a Healer.
During the 1990–1991 school year, he planted a cursed CD case in the hospital by giving it to the hospitalised Jacob, which subseqeuntly spread the laughing curse around the hospital staff and patients, causing utter disarray.
After the curse was broken, Jacob's sibling sought to investigate who had been the original source of the curse, and decided to use Legilimency on Zenith Xeep in the Janus Thickey Ward to read her thoughts. Upon reading her thoughts, they heard her thinking about a Dark Wizard called Burke, who they were unsure of. They initially asked Alastor Moody, who said it could have been Caractacus Burke, the owner of Borgin and Burkes in Knockturn Alley. They later asked Miriam Strout in the Alchemy Room if she knew anyone by the name, and she was surprised when she told them about Healer Burke, as he had been working there for fifteen years. She intended to speak to him, but had to leave to attend a board meeting.
- Jacob's sibling: "Burke--"
- Burke: "If you... If you'd only try to understand."
- Jacob's sibling: "Understand what? What are you talking about?"
- Burke: "Understand 'R'. You'd see what we're trying to do, and you'd come home to us."
- — Burke after being incapacitated by Jacob's sibling[src]
Jacob's sibling with Penny Haywood and Talbott Winger realised that it was him who gave Jacob the CD, and they confronted him in the Janus Thickey Ward, to which he initially feigned ignornace, but then took out his wand to duel Jacob's sibling. Jacob's sibling defeated him in a duel, to which he told them they did not understand the true motives of R, and that they should "come home to us". Then, Verucca Buckthorn-Snyde apppeared via Apparition, knocked Jacob's sibling over with a spell and refused to tell them her identity, taking Burke with her with Disapparition.
After this, Burke left St Mungo's and became an outlaw. Whilst imprisoned in the British Ministry of Magic, the convicted Dark Wizard and fellow 'R' member Kazuhiro Shiratori told Alastor Moody and Jacob's sibling that he knew of Burke's whereabouts, and promised to reveal them if his life sentence was reduced in Azkaban, fearing the Dementors there. However Moody lacked the legal authority to make such a decision, so he went to discuss with the necessary people, after he was transported back to Azkaban. Burke broke into Gringotts Wizarding Bank to access the vault of Sir Elric Parpidum, in order to take Chinese Fireball claws from there.
- "They won't be happy about this... But someone needs to put you in your place!"
- — Burke threatening Jacob's sibling at the Romanian Dragon Sanctuary[src]
Shiratori revealed Burke's whereabouts to be the Romanian Dragon Sanctuary when questioned by Moody and Jacob's sibling in Azkaban. When they found and confronted him, they found him with a Chinese Fireball, whom he planned to hurt to take its claws from in order for 'R' to make a special potion with. Moody confronted him and he knocked him over quickly with a spell, with Jacob's sibling knocked him over with the Banishing Charm when he went to finish Moody off. He declared he needed to teach them a lesson, and duelled them, with Jacob's sibling then defeated him again, with Moody then binding him with Incarcerous Spell and silencing him with the Silencing Charm, after he plead to be released, fearing 'R' would punish him. Moody took him to Azkaban afterwards.
Verucca later revealed to Jacob's sibling in the Shrieking Shack that Burke was simply a pawn planted by R in St Mungo's to lure them to R, and that he was considered a failure who should never have been trusted.
Magical abilities and skills
- Healing magic: As an experienced Healer employed at St Mungo's, Burke was clearly a competent enough Healer who was capable of treating his patients.
- Duelling: Burke was confident enough to face Jacob's sibling in a duel when confronted, although he was defeated by the much younger duellist and incapacitated. He also failed to defeat them at the Romanian Dragon Sanctuary despite challenging them.
- Dark Arts: As a member of the cabal R, Burke was presumably well-versed in Dark Magic. Zenith Xeep identified him as a Dark Wizard.
- Potions: As a Healer, Burke would have been presumably qualified with potions. He was aware that Chinese Fireball claws were required to brew Dai Ryusaki's mind-enhancing potion.
- Nonverbal magic: Burke could cast offensive spells without saying their incantations swiftly.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- According to Miriam Strout in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 29 (Mind Of A Diva), Burke had worked at the hospital for 15 years in the 1990 - 1991 school year. He was most likely of age when he started working there.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 29 (Mind Of A Diva)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 39 (The Aftermath)
- Since he celebrated his fifteen-year anniversary in the early 1990s, he must have begun working at St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries around this time.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 33 (Double Agents)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 36 (Impenetrable and Unplottable)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Careers Advice)