The Exploding Charm (Bombarda) was a charm that detonated the target in a small explosion. One use for this explosion was to blast open sealed doors or to blow bars off of windows. The incantation Bombarda Maxima was a stronger, more powerful variation of this spell.
During the Calamity in the 2010s, volunteer wizards and witches of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force heavily used the Exploding Charm in their mission to overpower Confoundables, in order to free Foundables. For example, the charm was highly useful at exploding large spheres of water which trapped British Ministry of Magic employees, and for fending off large red serpents which were guarding baby Unicorns.
Based off of the English word "bombard", meaning: attack (a place or person) continuously with bombs, shells, or other missiles.
Behind the scenes
- This spell was first seen in the third film; in the book, however, Hermione uses a safer unlocking spell to rescue Sirius Black.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 2 (The Mysterious Madam Rakepick) - Charms Lesson "Bombarda"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Three, Scene Sixteen
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 21 (Hermione's Secret)