At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
A fairy is a small, magical humanoid creature with large insect-like wings, which are either transparent or multi-coloured. They possess diminutive intelligence, and live mainly in woodlands or glades.
The fairy is a vain creature, and will often allow itself to be used as decoration by wizardkind. Due to their vanity, fairies are almost constantly grooming themselves. They possess a weak brand of magic that allows it to evade its predators such as the Augurey.
The fairy cannot speak; instead, it makes a high-pitched buzzing noise to communicate with its fellow fairies, but they are able to laugh in a similar way to the Flitterbies playful buzzing with the wings. Their wings are used as an ingredient in certain potions; removing their wings, while it will not kill them, tends to cause them extreme annoyance, as it does not play to their vanity.
Fairies can lay up to fifty eggs in one go, laying them on the underside of leaves. The eggs hatch into brightly coloured larvae, and, at six-to-ten days, they spin themselves into a cocoon. They emerge a month later as adult fairies. Bowtruckles eat fairy eggs.
Muggles' impression of the fairy is a generous one, having been ingrained into children's minds in the form of "fairy tales". Wizards believe that, of all the magical creatures in the world, the fairy, along with the unicorn, have received the best Muggle "press".
There was at least one organisation committed to the preservation of fairies and their natural habitats in Britain: the Witches' Holistic Institute for Friends of Fairies (WHIFF), whose only members were Winifred Whittle and Sage Bragnam.
Behind the scenes
- Fairies have a wide, many-varied appearance in mythology and legend, though they are commonly humanoid and possess magical powers of some form. The small, insect-winged creatures depicted in Harry Potter are consistent with the modern depiction of fairies, though in more ancient times they were described as more akin to angels or trolls, and usually lacked wings.
- The use of fairies as decorations around Christmas time in ways that Muggles use Christmas lights is presumably a reference to the fact that said decorations are called "fairy lights" in the United Kingdom. This reference is reinforced in the series itself, as "fairy lights" is one of the passwords used to get into Gryffindor Tower.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions - Chapter 4 (Beautification Potion)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - PS2 version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - PS1
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 3: Out of the Woods, Act 1
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 1
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|