At least some content in this article is derived from information about Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Wait, I do sense something!"
This page contains, or revolves around, a confirmed future release. As the release date of the product approaches and more information becomes available, the content of the page may change dramatically.
Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission, where they encounter old and new beasts and clash with Grindelwald’s growing legion of followers. But with the stakes so high, how long can Dumbledore remain on the sidelines?
Very little is known about the plot of this film. J. K. Rowling has commented, via her Twitter account, that we will see the "true glory" of Ilvermorny Professor Eulalie Hicks (played by Jessica Williams, who was introduced in the preceding instalment) in Fantastic Beasts 3. It has been suggested by a series of other Tweets by Rowling that this film might be set, at least partially, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; in an interview in February 2019, actor Dan Fogler also mentioned the film being set in Brazil. Also from set pictures and other sources, the film will be set in multiple locations, such as Berlin, China, and Hogsmeade - Richard Coyle changed his location on his Twitter bio to 'Hogsmeade', and the Fantastic Beasts fansite mentioned one of the few locations is the 'Hogs Head Pub'.
When asked to describe the third Fantastic Beasts film in three words, J.K. Rowling said "Answers are given". Dan Fogler described the film as a set-up for World War II, suggesting that the film is set at some point before September 1939.
J.K. Rowling stated in an interview that she was using something from China in the next film, and she also stated that it has something to do with Chinese mythical creatures.
When asked about how Aurelius Dumbledore fits into the Dumbledore family tree by Empire Film Podcast, David Yates responds with "there's a very intricate, lovely beginning of FB3 that we discover a few things about the [Dumbledore] family."
In an interview with Score: The Podcast, James Newton Howard mentioned that "I think it's by far the best one, it's really good. Mads Mikkelsen is playing Grindelwald, he's so great, and it's just great. It's full of magic, and scary stuff, and romantic – it's just really fun." He also said he sent David Yates close to 2 hours of music with a couple notes.
Deadline reported on 7 October 2021 that "The David Yates-directed Fantastic Beasts threequel is due in April next year — and the BTS scenes shown in Spain included a quick glimpse of Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald. The story picks up in the 1930s, a little after the events of the previous film and will take place in such far-flung locales as Bhutan, Germany, the US, the UK and China. Evoked were new creatures, old favourites, more magic and even a peek back into Hogwarts."
J. K. Rowling has commented on her Twitter account that she was done writing the script to Fantastic Beasts 3 on 10 December, 2018. Upon reports that the film's release date was pushed from November 2020 to one year later, November 2021, comments from actor Eddie Redmayne at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2019 suggested that production was waiting on Rowling to finish working on the script.
Whereas J. K. Rowling was the sole writer for the first two films in the franchise, Steve Kloves, who served as screenwriter for all Harry Potter films except Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, will serve as a co-writer for Fantastic Beasts 3 with Rowling. The final credit was approved by the Writer's Guild of America in June 2021: screenplay by Rowling and Kloves, based on a screenplay by Rowling.
Filming was set to begin on 16 March 2020 in London, but was postponed due to growing concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic. Filming commenced on 20 September, 2020. In November, Johnny Depp announced that he agreed to step down from his role of Gellert Grindelwald when asked to by Warner Bros. after he lost a domestic-violence related libel lawsuit in the English court system. Warner Bros. then announced the role would be re-cast and that the film had once again been delayed, this time to summer 2022. A new date of 15 July 2022 announced the following day.A few weeks later on November 25, 2020, Warner Bros. confirmed that Mads Mikkelsen (who'd been rumoured to have taken the role) would play the role of Grindelwald.
In January 2021, British actor Richard Coyle said in an Instagram Q&A that he had been cast in the film and had been working on in it since September. However, he also said he was not allowed to disclose any details. That May, the Fantastic Beasts Movie fansite reported from personal sources that he would be playing Aberforth Dumbledore but this has yet to be officially confirmed. However, he subsequently changed his Twitter location to "Hogsmeade".
On 11 February, German actor Oliver Masucci said in an interview that he'd been cast as the Head of the International Confederation of Wizards. Two days later on 13 February 2021,BedfordshireLive reported that a Major new Warner Bros movie was to be filmed in a village in Bedfordshire. Warner Bros sent out letters to residents of the village that filming would take place between 18 February and 5 March of a "feature film". Sometime after in February, James Newton Howard confirmed that filming had concluded and he started work on the score.
Later in May 2021, English actor Emilia Karlsson was added to the film's IMDb page as "Ministry Guest". A fluent German speaker, she is also credited as an on-set translator. Also in May 2021, Warner Bros. announced that Kevin Guthrie, who starred as Abernathy in the previous two films in the series had been fired from the project before production had started when he was charged for a sexual assault that happened in 2017. Due to the lack of official information on the film, it's unclear what will be done with the character.
In a July 2021 interview, David Yates told the University of Essex that "on the latest film he's taken out 3, 4, 5 lovely scenes that we nurtured and cherished and shot and edited, put visual effects in, and you suddenly you reach that moment where you realise the story survives without it, and can actually thrive without the scene, is actually probably better without the scene when you remove it and it’s a process always of just trying to find the best version of the story possible." He also said that 15 July 2022 is still the planned global release date for the film. Later in the same week, the Portus fansite reported from a source that the film would be conducting its pre-planned reshoots the following month.
In September, Wilf Scolding was added to the film's IMDb page as "Workman". Later on in the month, Warner Bros. put out a press release announcing the film's title, synopsis, and new release date of 15 April.
The film is currently in post-production.
- In an interview with Deadline, James Newton Howard revealed that he is returning to compose Fantastic Beasts 3.
- Eddie Redmayne as Newton "Newt" Scamander
- Katherine Waterston as Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein
- Alison Sudol as Queenie Goldstein
- Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski
- Ezra Miller as Credence Barebone
- Callum Turner as Theseus Scamander
- Jude Law as Albus Dumbledore
- Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald
- Jessica Williams as Eulalie Hicks
- William Nadylam as Yusuf Kama
- Jeremy Azis as German Muggle
- Poppy Corby-Tuech as Vinda Rosier
- Richard Coyle as TBA (reportedly Aberforth Dumbledore)
- Oliver Masucci as the Head of the International Confederation of Wizards
- Dave Wong as TBA
- Paul Parker as Vogel's bodyguard
- Emilia Karlsson as Ministry Guest
- Eugene Lin as Tao's supporter
Behind the scenes
- The film's set-production name is "Vermillion".
- The release date was pushed forward on 22 September 2021, from 15 July 2022 to 15 April 2022.
- The Wizarding World franchise partnered with WatchMojo, to release a youtube video about the origins of Albus Dumbledore.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (soundtrack)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: Movie Magic
Notes and references
- Composer James Newton Howard On Penning ‘News Of The World’s “Broken” Western Score & Returning To Disney Animation With ‘Raya And The Last Dragon’
- Alexander, Thomas (7 February 2019). "Exclusive Interview: Dan Fogler on the return of The Walking Dead, Brooklyn Gladiator and Fantastic Beasts 3". HeyUGuys. Retrieved on 2 November 2019.
- 'Fantastic Beasts' 3 may also take place in Berlin, Germany, says Stuart Craig
- I think I’ve got some night shoots in Watford, in Leavesden, England, that we were meant to shoot in the summer in water,” Redmayne says. “But now obviously because of lockdown, and the film shutdown, they’re being shot in early December. And suddenly you find yourself swimming outdoors in British winter.”
- Locations: Hogsmeade, Hog’s Head pub
- Dan Fogler Teases Hagrid's Appearance In Fantastic Beasts 3
- J.K. hinting Fantastic Beasts 3 backstory
- The Empire Film Podcast, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald Spoiler Special (ft. David Yates and David Heyman)
- Score: The Podcast S4E10 | James Newton Howard says be great at making a demo
- Warner Bros Rolls Out Update On ‘Fantastic Beasts 3’, Rocks With ‘Elvis’ – CineEurope
- Carbone, Gina (September 2019). "Eddie Redmayne Has An 'Exciting' Fantastic Beasts 3 Filming Update". CinemaBlend. Retrieved on 2 November 2019.
- Whitten, Sarah (November 4, 2019). ‘Fantastic Beasts 3’ will be co-written by ‘Harry Potter’ screenwriter after ‘Crimes of Grindelwald’ flop. CNBC. Retrieved on 2019 November 5.
- Fantastic Beasts 3 filming postponed due to coronavirus
- Eddie Redmayne confirms Fantastic Beasts 3 filming has resumed and describes the new normal on set
- Fantastic Beasts 3 Release Date Delayed to 2022
- Crew Members Inside Production Confirm That Mads Mikkelsen Is Replacing Johnny Depp as Grindelwald
- Mads Mikkelsen confirmed to play Gellert Grindelwald in third Fantastic Beasts film
- Richard Coyle joins the Fantastic Beasts 3 cast
- Major new Warner Bros movie to be filmed in Bedfordshire village
- 'Emilia' on backstage.com
- I just presented David Yates with the first six reels of Fantastic Beasts 3
- Johnny Depp Leaves Role Of Grindelwald For Fantastic Beasts 3
- "Rumour: Richard Coyle Is Playing Aberforth Dumbledore In Fantastic Beasts 3"
- It’s official. Our Aberforth, everybody., on Reddit (r/FantasticBeasts)
- 'Oliver Masucci wird zum Chefzauberer' on stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/
- Production name article
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts film series|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|The Secrets of Dumbledore||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|