At least some content in this article is derived from information about Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Then there were doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending."
This article has an excess of red links in it. Attention is requested to create new articles from these links.
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore is a direct sequel to Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, and the third instalment of the series of films based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, one of the companion books to J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, overall being the eleventh film set in the wizarding world. The film is directed by David Yates, with a screenplay by J. K. Rowling, and returning to help is Steve Kloves. Returning stars are Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, Callum Turner, William Nadylam, and joining the cast is Mads Mikkelsen. This film was released on 8 April 2022 in the UK, Ireland, and Japan and on 15 April 2022 in the rest of the world.
Professor Albus Dumbledore knows the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald is moving to seize control of the wizarding world. Unable to stop him alone, he entrusts Magizoologist Newt Scamander to lead an intrepid team of wizards, witches and one brave Muggle baker on a dangerous mission, where they encounter old and new beasts and clash with Grindelwald's growing legion of followers. But with the stakes so high, how long can Dumbledore remain on the sidelines?
Albus Dumbledore takes a train to meet Gellert Grindelwald in a Muggle restaurant, where they argue about their past, how their goals used to be aligned, and the blood troth between them, ending with Grindelwald telling Dumbledore to stay out of his way and making it clear he intends to burn down the non-magic world, with or without Albus's help. Meanwhile in the jungles of Kweilin, at night time, Newton Scamander helps a Qilin, a magical creature that can see into one's soul as well as the future, give birth, but some of Grindelwald's disciples, led by Credence Barebone, attack and overpower Newt, kill the mother, and kidnap the newborn. Unbeknownst to them, the Qilin has birthed twins, the younger of which Newt is able to save after he wakes up. In Nurmengard, Grindelwald kills the Qilin to harness its ability of precognition after it doesn't bow to him. In the dead Qilin's blood's reflection, he sees Albus showing the blood pact to Theseus and Newt in the Hog's Head Inn.
Newt and Theseus head to Hog's Head Inn in order to question Dumbledore for the best course of action against Grindelwald. With Dumbledore still powerless to break the Blood Troth that prevents him from fighting Grindelwald, he reveals that he has plans to defeat Grindelwald and stop him from tearing the world apart with hatred, but they have to trust him. Eulalie Hicks recruits Jacob Kowalski, who is depressed with Queenie Goldstein having left him and his Kowalski Quality Baked Goods suffering from the Great Depression and initially wants nothing more to do with the wizarding world but eventually decides to help out. In the Great Wizarding Express heading for Berlin, Newt, Theseus, Bunty Broadacre, and Yusuf Kama greet the two and Newt then reveals that in order to thwart Grindelwald's future-seeing abilities, they will split up and perform different roles. He gives Theseus a tie with a large golden pin, Jacob a coreless wand, and Bunty instructions that will burn when she sees it as they set out to fulfil their roles.
Bunty has Newton Scamander's suitcase duplicated into half a dozen copies, while the rest go to Berlin in order to visit the German Ministry of Magic. Anton Vogel, the Supreme Mugwump and the Minister, refuses to help Newt and the others to stop Grindelwald for political reasons and they can only watch as Grindelwald is acquitted of all charges by the International Confederation of Wizards and can run for the position of the next Supreme Mugwump, with Theseus being captured. Reuniting with Dumbledore, he tells Newt where Theseus is imprisoned and assigns Eulalie and Jacob with the task of preventing assassination attempts on Grindelwald's competitors. Grindelwald, at Nurmengard, then has a vision Yusuf Kama going to Nurmengard, and Dumbledore going to Bhutan to confront him, with Vinda looking on. Next morning, Yusuf enters Nurmengard Castle and is promptly installed as a spy in Grindelwald's inner-circle, after Grindelwald removes Yusuf's memory of Leta's death.
Dumbledore walks across Berlin with Credence following him as Grindelwald has ordered him to kill Dumbledore. Aware of Credence's spying, Dumbledore quickly faces him and they fight due to Credence's anger about being abandoned. Dumbledore defeats Credence after a fierce fight, and it's revealed that he is not Albus's brother but rather his nephew as Aberforth's son. Meanwhile, in Berlin, Anton Vogel defends his stance on Grindelwald running as a candidate for the next Supreme Mugwump to other high-profile ICW members. Grindelwald is on the same street, driving a car with Vinda. He sees a vision of Jacob Kowalski pulling out his coreless wand to threaten him. Jacob and Eulalie are able to prevent the assassination of Vicência Santos but Jacob's reckless face-off with Grindelwald allows Grindelwald to frame him for attempting to kill Grindelwald and he and Lally barely escape, giving Grindelwald an incentive to turn the wizarding world against the muggle world. Queenie aids in their escape by launching a chair at Helmut and his henchmen to distract them, and buy Jacob more time to escape. Meanwhile Newt enters the Erkstag prison and successfully rescues his brother despite the Manticore and the guard attempting to stop them.
The group reunite at Hogwarts and go to the Hog's Head for dinner. As Grindelwald uses Necromancy in order to zombify the Qilin he killed, subsequently having a vision of another Qilin and getting angry at Credence, Dumbledore confronts his brother about his responsibilities to Credence and Newt learns the truth about Albus's past as Credence, disillusioned with Grindelwald, contacts them via a mirror asking to return home. Albus comes up with a plan to save everyone with Credence's help, and the next day, he tells the others that they must go to Bhutan to stop Grindelwald, as the election will be held there.
Travelling to Bhutan with a device provided by the Room of Requirement, they are able to defeat all of Grindelwald's disciples, with Yusuf revealing his true allegiance in process. Grindelwald uses the zombified Qilin to be announced as the Supreme Mugwump and immediately declares war on the Muggles, torturing Jacob for his attempts to assassinate him. However, Credence, Queenie, and Newt are able to expose him and Bunty reveals the true Qilin. It chooses Vicência after Dumbledore refuses to be the next Supreme Mugwump. His plans having been foiled, Grindelwald angrily attempts to kill Credence, but Albus and Aberforth save him. As he was protecting Credence rather than attacking Grindelwald in the clash, the blood pact finally breaks and Dumbledore immediately battles Grindelwald. The intense battle ends with their wands on each other's head and their hands on the other's heart, reaching a stalemate, and Grindelwald subsequently retreats.
The dying Credence is taken away by his father as the Phoenix mournfully follows them. In the aftermath of the election, Jacob and Queenie marry with most of the group and Tina attending. Dumbledore watches from a distance as he thanks Newt for all he's done before walking away alone.
J. K. Rowling has commented on her Twitter account that she was done writing the script to Fantastic Beasts 3 on 10 December 2018. Upon reports that the film's release date was pushed from November 2020 to one year later, November 2021, comments from actor Eddie Redmayne at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2019 suggested that production was waiting on Rowling to finish working on the script.
Whereas J. K. Rowling was the sole writer for the first two films in the franchise, Steve Kloves, who served as screenwriter for all Harry Potter films except Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, will serve as a co-writer for Fantastic Beasts 3 with Rowling. The final credit was approved by the Writer's Guild of America in June 2021: screenplay by Rowling and Kloves, based on a screenplay by Rowling.
Little bits of the plot were released over the years. J. K. Rowling has commented, via her Twitter account, that we will see the "true glory" of Ilvermorny Professor Eulalie Hicks (played by Jessica Williams, who was introduced in the preceding instalment) in Fantastic Beasts 3. It has been suggested by a series of other Tweets by Rowling that this film might be set, at least partially, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; in an interview in February 2019, actor Dan Fogler also mentioned the film being set in Brazil. Also from set pictures and other sources, the film will be set in multiple locations, such as Berlin, China, and Hogsmeade - Richard Coyle changed his location on his Twitter bio to 'Hogsmeade', and the Fantastic Beasts fansite mentioned one of the few locations is the 'Hogs Head Pub'.
When asked to describe the third Fantastic Beasts film in three words, J. K. Rowling said "Answers are given". Dan Fogler described the film as a set-up for World War II, suggesting that the film is set at some point before September 1939.
J. K. Rowling stated in an interview that she was using something from China in the next film, and she also stated that it has something to do with Chinese mythical creatures.
When asked about how Aurelius Dumbledore fits into the Dumbledore family tree by Empire Film Podcast, David Yates responds with "there's a very intricate, lovely beginning of FB3 that we discover a few things about the [Dumbledore] family."
In an interview with Score: The Podcast, James Newton Howard mentioned that "I think it's by far the best one, it's really good. Mads Mikkelsen is playing Grindelwald, he's so great, and it's just great. It's full of magic, and scary stuff, and romantic – it's just really fun." He also said he sent David Yates close to 2 hours of music with a couple notes.
Deadline reported on 7 October 2021 that "The David Yates-directed Fantastic Beasts threequel is due in April next year — and the BTS scenes shown in Spain included a quick glimpse of Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald. The story picks up in the 1930s, a little after the events of the previous film and will take place in such far-flung locales as Bhutan, Germany, the US, the UK and China. Evoked were new creatures, old favourites, more magic and even a peek back into Hogwarts."
The trailer for the film depicts Jacob Kowalski, a No-Maj, both being provided a wand and sitting at a table with students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This has resulted in a flurry of speculation, for two reasons. It has been established within the franchise that a wand is of no use to anyone who is not a wizard or witch. Secondly, Hogwarts is enchanted with a charm that normally prevents Muggles from even seeing it, though Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets establishes that Myrtle Warren's parents were invited to the castle, suggesting the enchantment is able to be lifted for specific individuals. A second trailer for the film depicts Gellert Grindelwald as announcing all-out war against the non-magic community. The trailer also depicts Dumbledore sitting down across from Grindelwald and telling him "What you're doing is madness," only for Grindelwald to reply that with or without him, he'll burn down their world.
Filming was set to begin on 16 March 2020 in London, but was postponed due to growing concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic. Filming commenced on 20 September 2020. In November, Johnny Depp announced that he agreed to step down from his role of Gellert Grindelwald when asked to by Warner Bros. after he lost a domestic-violence related libel lawsuit in the English court system. Warner Bros. then announced the role would be re-cast and that the film had once again been delayed, this time to summer 2022. A new date of 15 July 2022 announced the following day.A few weeks later, on 25 November 2020, Warner Bros. confirmed that Mads Mikkelsen (who'd been rumoured to have taken the role) would play the role of Grindelwald.
In January 2021, British actor Richard Coyle said in an Instagram Q&A that he had been cast in the film and had been working on in it since September. However, he also said he was not allowed to disclose any details. That May, the Fantastic Beasts Movie fansite reported from personal sources that he would be playing Aberforth Dumbledore but this has yet to be officially confirmed. However, he subsequently changed his Twitter location to "Hogsmeade".
On 11 February, German actor Oliver Masucci said in an interview that he'd been cast as the Head of the International Confederation of Wizards. Two days later on 13 February 2021, Bedfordshire Live reported that a Major new Warner Bros film was to be filmed in a village in Bedfordshire. Warner Bros sent out letters to residents of the village that filming would take place between 18 February and 5 March of a "feature film". Sometime after in February, James Newton Howard confirmed that filming had concluded and he started work on the score.
Later in May 2021, English actor Emilia Karlsson was added to the film's IMDb page as "Ministry Guest". A fluent German speaker, she is also credited as an on-set translator. Also in May 2021, Warner Bros. announced that Kevin Guthrie, who starred as Abernathy in the previous two films in the series had been fired from the project before production had started when he was charged for a sexual assault that happened in 2017. Due to the lack of official information on the film, it's unclear what will be done with the character.
In a July 2021 interview, David Yates told the University of Essex that "on the latest film he's taken out 3, 4, 5 lovely scenes that we nurtured and cherished and shot and edited, put visual effects in, and you suddenly you reach that moment where you realise the story survives without it, and can actually thrive without the scene, is actually probably better without the scene when you remove it and it's a process always of just trying to find the best version of the story possible." He also said that 15 July 2022 is still the planned global release date for the film. Later in the same week, the Portus fansite reported from a source that the film would be conducting its pre-planned reshoots the following month.
In September, Wilf Scolding was added to the film's IMDb page as "Workman". Later on in the month, Warner Bros. put out a press release announcing the film's title, synopsis, and new release dates of 8 April and 15 April.
- In an interview with Deadline, James Newton Howard revealed that he is returning to compose Fantastic Beasts 3.
- On 24 August, James Newton Howard started to do research on his old work and the directors notes from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- The soundtrack for Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore was recorded from 31 October to 29 November 2021 at the Abbey Road Studios. It took eight months and thirty-eight, three-hour sessions to complete, from the beginning to finish, with help by the works of many musicians, including some from the London Voices choir.
In the UK, the film was opened at 714 locations and brought in £5.9 million in its first week, the third-highest behind Batman and Sing 2. However, in the US, the film was the most disappointing of the entire Harry Potter franchise so far, bringing in a paltry $43 million in its opening weekend. As of 9 May, the film has grossed $365 million at the box office, surpassing its $200 million estimated production budget, but there is little doubt for many that, despite having earned a combined $9,198,243,071 from all previous films, The Secrets of Dumbledore is unlikely to help them break the $10 billion barrier.
- On 1 December, in Tokyo Japan, Warner Bros. hosted a event that may screen or show something from the film.
- In Japan, advanced tickets were able to be purchased on 17 December 2021, and purchasers got an exclusive "Fantastic clear folder" as a free gift.
- A teaser trailer was released on 10 December 2021 with a full trailer released on 13 December 2021.
- A second and final trailer was released 28 February 2022.
- The world premiere occurred on 29 March 2022.
- Jude Law as Albus Dumbledore
- Mads Mikkelsen as Gellert Grindelwald
- Eddie Redmayne as Newton "Newt" Scamander
- Katherine Waterston as Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein
- Poppy Corby-Tuech as Vinda Rosier
- Maja Bloom as Carrow
- Ezra Miller as Credence Barebone
- Paul Low-Hang as Zabini
- Alison Sudol as Queenie Goldstein
- Callum Turner as Theseus Scamander
- Richard Coyle as Aberforth Dumbledore
- Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski
- Jessica Williams as Eulalie "Lally" Hicks
- Wilf Scolding as Frank Doyle (Workman 1)
- Kazeem Tosin Amore as Workman 2
- Noor Dillan-Night as Workman 3
- William Nadylam as Yusuf Kama
- Victoria Yeates as Bunty Broadacre
- Manuel Klein as Tall Auror
- Aleksandr Kuznetsov as Helmut
- Oliver Masucci as Anton Vogel
- Valerie Pachner as Henrietta Fischer
- Ramona Kunze-Libnow as Edith (Elderly Matron)
- Dave Wong as Liu Tao
- Maria Fernanda Cândido as Vicência Santos
- Lucas Englander as Horst
- Fiona Glascott as Minerva McGonagall
- Jan Pohl as Ministry Official 
- Matthias Brenner as Otto
- Peter Simonischek as Warder
- Jacqueline Boatswain as Ida Webb (British Witch)
- David Bertrand as Victor (French Minister)
- Stefan Race as Karl (Dark-Eyed Waiter)
- Jessica Cartledge as Redheaded Ravenclaw
- Rahda Sthanakiya as Tiny Witch 1 (as Radha Sthanakiya)
- Isabelle Coverdale as Tiny Witch 2
- Dónal Finn as Albert (Baker)
- Cara Mahoney as Waitress
- Jeremy Azis as German Muggle
- Hebe Beardsall as Ariana Dumbledore
- Paul Candelent as Gellert Grindelwald's bodyguard
- Evangeline Chitty as Slytherin Child
- Nick Davison as Pub Wizard
- Mike Evans as Dark Clad Auror / Gellert Grindelwald's supporter
- Winston Hayles as Spy Building Worker
- Emilia Karlsson as Ministry Guest
- Tianyi Kiy as Villager
- Johnny Li Gotti as French Ministry
- Eugene Lin as Tao's supporter
- Tony McCarthy as Magical Train Person
- Paul Parker as Anton Vogel's bodyguard
- Tony Pickering as British Ministry Employee
- Mimi Pitakworraratana as Tao Protester
- Phil Reeve as Grindelwald Supporter
- Chris Robb as Wizard
- Dan Robins as German Muggle
- Lucy Ross as Moving Painting
- Sam Shoubber as MACUSA Member
- Sean Talo as Ministry Wizard
- David Thrower as Grindelwald Supporter
- Nicola Tinacci as German Muggle
Behind the scenes
- The film's set-production name is "Vermillion".
- The release date was brought forward on 22 September 2021, from 15 July 2022 to 15 April 2022.
- The Wizarding World franchise partnered with WatchMojo to release a YouTube video about the origins of Albus Dumbledore.
- The first teaser trailer was released on 10 December 2021. The first full trailer was released on 13 December 2021.
- A second full trailer was scheduled to be released on 24 February 2022, but its release was postponed due to world events. It was released on 28 February.
- This is the first film in the Fantastic Beasts series and the second in the Wizarding World franchise (with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2) that did not start with Hedwig’s theme.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (soundtrack)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: Movie Magic
Notes and references
- Composer James Newton Howard On Penning 'News Of The World's “Broken” Western Score & Returning To Disney Animation With 'Raya And The Last Dragon'
- "Box Office: 'Hotel Transylvania 4,' 'Fantastic Beasts 3' Score China Release Dates" at the Hollywood Reporter
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets Of Dumbledore - BBFC
- Carbone, Gina (September 2019). "Eddie Redmayne Has An 'Exciting' Fantastic Beasts 3 Filming Update". CinemaBlend. Retrieved on 2 November 2019.
- Whitten, Sarah (November 4, 2019). 'Fantastic Beasts 3' will be co-written by 'Harry Potter' screenwriter after 'Crimes of Grindelwald' flop. CNBC. Retrieved on 2019 November 5.
- Alexander, Thomas (7 February 2019). "Exclusive Interview: Dan Fogler on the return of The Walking Dead, Brooklyn Gladiator and Fantastic Beasts 3". HeyUGuys. Retrieved on 2 November 2019.
- 'Fantastic Beasts' 3 may also take place in Berlin, Germany, says Stuart Craig
- I think I've got some night shoots in Watford, in Leavesden, England, that we were meant to shoot in the summer in water,” Redmayne says. “But now obviously because of lockdown, and the film shutdown, they're being shot in early December. And suddenly you find yourself swimming outdoors in British winter.”
- Locations: Hogsmeade, Hog's Head pub
- Dan Fogler Teases Hagrid's Appearance In Fantastic Beasts 3
- J.K. hinting Fantastic Beasts 3 backstory
- The Empire Film Podcast, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald Spoiler Special (ft. David Yates and David Heyman)
- Score: The Podcast S4E10 | James Newton Howard says be great at making a demo
- Warner Bros Rolls Out Update On 'Fantastic Beasts 3', Rocks With 'Elvis' – CineEurope
- Fantastic Beasts – Secrets of Dumbledore Trailer: Why does Jacob have a Wand and how is he in the Great Hall?. The Rowling Library (December 13, 2021). Retrieved on 2021 December 13.
- Underhill, Fiona (February 28, 2022). Fantastic Beasts 3 trailer brings war to the Wizarding World. The Digital Flix. Retrieved on 2022 February 28.
- Fantastic Beasts 3 filming postponed due to coronavirus
- Eddie Redmayne confirms Fantastic Beasts 3 filming has resumed and describes the new normal on set
- Fantastic Beasts 3 Release Date Delayed to 2022
- Crew Members Inside Production Confirm That Mads Mikkelsen Is Replacing Johnny Depp as Grindelwald
- Mads Mikkelsen confirmed to play Gellert Grindelwald in third Fantastic Beasts film
- Richard Coyle joins the Fantastic Beasts 3 cast
- Major new Warner Bros movie to be filmed in Bedfordshire village
- 'Emilia' on backstage.com
- I just presented David Yates with the first six reels of Fantastic Beasts 3
- Box Office: ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore’ Conjuring Franchise-Low Opening Weekend
- Johnny Depp Leaves Role Of Grindelwald For Fantastic Beasts 3
- "Rumour: Richard Coyle Is Playing Aberforth Dumbledore In Fantastic Beasts 3"
- It's official. Our Aberforth, everybody., on Reddit (r/FantasticBeasts)
- 'Oliver Masucci wird zum Chefzauberer' on stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/
- Production name article
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore – Official Trailer Monday
|J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series|
|Philosopher's Stone||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Chamber of Secrets||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Goblet of Fire||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Order of the Phoenix||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Half-Blood Prince||book||film||game||film soundtrack||game soundtrack|
|Deathly Hallows||book||film 1||game 1||film soundtrack 1||game soundtrack 1|
|film 2||game 2||film soundtrack 2||game soundtrack 2|
|Fantastic Beasts film series|
|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them||book||screenplay||film||soundtrack||game|
|The Crimes of Grindelwald||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|The Secrets of Dumbledore||screenplay||film||soundtrack|
|Fantastic Beasts 4||film|
|Fantastic Beasts 5||film|