- "Newt's masterpiece had been an approved textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry ever since its publication and must take a substantial amount of credit for our students' consistently high results in Care of Magical Creatures examinations — yet it is not a book to be confined to the classroom. No wizarding household is complete without a copy of Fantastic Beasts, well thumbed by the generations who have riffled its pages in search of the best way to rid the lawn of Horklumps, interpret the mournful cries of the Augurey, or cure their pet Puffskein of drinking out of the toilet."
- — Albus Dumbledore[src]
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was a book written by Newt Scamander detailing the field of Magizoology, the study of magical creatures. It was a standard textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since it was written in 1927.
In 1918, Obscurus Books commissioned Newton Scamander to write Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The book was first released in early 1927, and a launch party was held at seven o'clock on 19 March at Flourish and Blotts in Diagon Alley, where the Magizoologist was accompanied by his childhood friend Leta Lestrange, his older brother Theseus Scamander and his assistant, Bunty.
Harry Potter purchased this book on 31 July 1991 in Flourish and Blotts in Diagon Alley, whilst he was buying supplies for his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that year with Rubeus Hagrid. Harry's copy was also protected by the Thief's Curse.
In 2017, a new edition featuring a foreword by Scamander was avaliable. He provided new details about the part he played in capturing the Dark wizard, Gellert Grindelwald and added six new creatures to the A to Z of Fantastic Beasts. He wrote it was "To appear only in "For Wizards" version". He then added an "Editor's note" stating the Muggle version had to include the "gaff" of it being "obvious fiction".
- "If Newt Scamander hasn’t found it, it’s not worth finding."
- — Description[src]
- An A-Z of Fantastic Beasts
Beasts included in the book
Behind the scenes
- A real version of the book was written by J. K. Rowling to raise money for the Comic Relief charity in 2001.
- Some creatures are missing from the book. There is no entry on cockatrices, hydras, or three-headed dogs. The Zouwu is also missing, even though Newt is known to have encountered one of these, in 1927. This can be explained, however, as Newt Scamander never intended the book to be a complete guide of all magical creatures, but an introduction to the variety of Magizoology.
- It is unknown why this book was required for Harry Potter to get in his first year (1991–1992 school year) since he did not start Care of Magical Creatures until his third year (1993–1994 school year). As in the real world version of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Dumbledore states it is required for Care of Magical Creatures. Though, it is possible it was required for another subject.
- A listing for the book on Scholastic's Harry Potter site gives the price as 14 Sickles and 3 Knuts.
- A giant copy of the book with the cover art seen in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, was part of the "Tree of Fantastic Beasts" (Japanese: 魔法動物の樹) installation art at Marunouchi OAZO 1F ○○広場 (translit. oohiroba) from 11 November to 25 December 2021.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5 (Diagon Alley)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
- (see this image)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2017 edition)
- Scholastic Harry Potter site - Series Information
- 「ハリー・ポッター」シリーズの「ファンタスティック・ビースト」仕様のクリスマスツリーが、当店前のOO広場に展示中です。書籍はもちろん、11/17から12/25まで当店1F・4Fにて雑貨販売も予定しております。ぜひお立ち寄りください。 -
- Tree of Fantastic Beasts ― 魔法動物の樹 ― 映画『#ファンタスティック・ビースト』シリーズに登場する魔法動物たちが隠れている、作品の世界観を表現しています🌱 魔法動物たちの不思議なツリーを背景に記念撮影も📸 🕛観覧時間：6:00～23:00 📍場所：丸の内オアゾ1F ○○広場(おおひろば) -
- ＼ #クリスマスツリー も乞うご期待🎄／ #丸ビル のメインツリーでは、3Dホログラムディスプレイで映画の名シーンを再現した演出のライティングショー、 #TOKYOTORCHPark では、巨大ツリー型イルミネーションが登場 🚂📜🧙🏻♀️🐍 #ハリポタの魔法20周年 -
- 【ワーナー公式】ニュース｜『ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石』映画公開20周年記念！ "Marunouchi Bright Christmas 2021 「ハリー・ポッター」魔法ワールドからの贈り物"開催 at Warner Bros. Japan
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Printorium
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|