- "Despite its name, the Fire Crab greatly resembles a large tortoise with a heavily jewelled shell. In its native Fiji, a stretch of coast has been turned into a reservation for its protection, not only against Muggles, who might be tempted by its valuable shell, but also against unscrupulous wizards, who use the shells as highly prized cauldrons. The Fire Crab does, however, have its own defence mechanism: it shoots flames from its rear end when attacked. Fire Crabs are exported as pets, but a special licence is necessary."
- — Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
It has six legs, and a heavily jewelled shell, with different colours. It is able to defend itself by shooting flames from its rear end when it is attacked. The Fire Crab is a protected species, and a reservation has been created to protect this species from Muggles, who would value the jewelled shell, and wizards who use the shells as cauldrons.
Fire Crabs are sold and exported as pets in places such as the Magical Menagerie, but the owners require a special licence. The Ministry of Magic states that a competent wizard should be able to cope with this animal. Fifth years, for their Care of Magical Creatures O.W.L., had to demonstrate how to feed and clean a Fire Crab without sustaining serious burns.
Behind the scenes
- Despite being a protected species, fire crabs appear as enemies that can be killed in many Harry Potter video games. Therefore, their role as such is likely not canon.
- In the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets GBA and PC video games based on the series, the player must hit a fire crab with the Tickling Charm to stun it, then cast the Knockback Jinx to push it into a pit. It will then either cease its attacks on you or be unable to attack you.
- In the PC versions Fire Crabs can be encountered in the Forbidden Forest, Rictusempra Challenge, Skurge Challenge or in certain areas of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- In the PC version of Philosopher's Stone, Harry encounters a "Fire Turtle" in the Fire Seed Caves in the Forbidden Forest. The "Fire Turtle" appears to be an early version of the Fire Crab. Its look is likely due to the "first-time creation."
- In the GBA version of Chamber of Secrets, a fire crab is a Vaults Guardian at Gringotts Wizarding Bank.
- In the console versions of the Chamber of Secrets video game, Incendio can be cast at a flipped over Fire Crab to kill it.
- In the Prisoner of Azkaban game, it can be knocked over and' and pushed around with the Tickling Charm.
- In the GBA version of Goblet of Fire, they have to be splashed with water on their rear end.
- In the DS, PSP and IOS versions of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, fire crabs are an enemy that can't be killed, but can be stunned using Stupefy. They also appear in the following game.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS/PSP/IOS version only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS/IOS version only)
- Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 5 (The Dementor)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - GBA version
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 24 (Rita Skeeter's Scoop)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 1 (Year Four Begins) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Fire Crab"
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club) · The Paddock|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Diricawl · Doxy · Fairy · Fire Crab · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Flobberworm · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Gnome · Golden Snidget · Griffin · Hippogriff · Imp · Jackalope · Knarl · Kneazle · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Occamy · Porlock · Quintaped · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|