At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery.
Salamanders are born out of salamander fires, and live as long as the flames they were birthed from continue to burn. However, if they are fed on pepper, they can survive outside out of its flames for up to six hours. The colour of the Salamander depends on the heat of its birthing fire, and produces hot flames itself.Salamander blood has powerful regenerative and curative properties, and is used as an ingredient in the brewing of many potions. The Fire Dwelling Salamander is a rare corporeal form of the Patronus Charm.
The maximum number of hours a salamander can survive out of fire as well as the number of legs most salamanders have is six, and as such, salamanders are used in the runic alphabet to represent the number six.
There are different types of salamanders, such as the blue and the scarlet variety. Scale rot is an illness that can affect both salamanders and dragons. If left untreated, it can cause a salamander's tail to detach. Fire Salamanders are vulnerable to the Knockback Jinx, Freezing Spell and water-conjuring charms (such as the Aqua Eructo Charm and the Ebublio Jinx), as well as transfiguration spells, but are resistant to Red sparks and the Fire-Making Spell.
Fred and George Weasley once experimented with feeding fireworks to a salamander, which caused it to rocket around the room, emitting Tangerine stars. The salamander ended up running back into the fireplace in the room, looking scared.
In January 1994, Professor Rubeus Hagrid taught his third year Care of Magical Creatures class about these beasts, providing his class with a "bonfire" full of them, with students very much enjoying his lesson, collecting dry wood and leaves to keep their fire blazing while the salamanders scampered up and down the burning logs.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Discover your Patronus - Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 12 (The Patronus)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's official site
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Magical Creatures (club)|
|Professors||Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks||The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Blast-Ended Skrewt · Bowtruckle · Chimaera · Crup · Fairy · Fire Crab · Flobberworm · Glumbumble · Hippogriff · Knarl · Kneazle · Murtlap · Niffler · Porlock · Fire Dwelling Salamander · Streeler · Thestral · Unicorn|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|